Logo

Outboards Vs Inboards any thoughts on what is the most reliable

jon

Regular Contributor
" Hi,
I'd love to he

" Hi,
I'd love to hear a good comparison of the reliability of inboard and outboard gas engines.. I've talked to people who swear by one or the other, but I've never heard a convincing arguement.. just comments like, "outboards run like lawn-mowers" and "inboards arn't adapted to the marine enviorment".. an thoughts ? "

Inboard are easy to maintain/

Inboard are easy to maintain/fix....so it would reason they are kept in better shape.
my 2 cents

"Jon.... That's just a mat

"Jon.... That's just a matter of personal preference. Maneuverability is about the same and when it comes to repairs, that's costly on both versions. The I/O, like an inboard, you must be cautious about fuel fumes. It's a must that you run a bilge blower to get rid of those fumes before attempting to start a I/O to avoid a possible explosion. One thing I never liked about the I/O is the position one must get in at times to work on them, whereas with a outboard, if necessary, one can remove the engine rather quickly. Good feature about the I/O is that you never have to worry about the fuel/oil mixture. Either version... some love them, some hate them. Guess that's why we have both.

Joe
"

Jon

I have heard from many

Jon

I have heard from many boat dealers that the power to weight ratio is much better with an outboard Vs I/O.More power and a lot less weight and you can pull the motor completely out of the water in shallow areas.
My 3 cents.
Good Luck
Rick

" I think the inboard with a j

" I think the inboard with a jet drive would be the most reliable .It has fewer moving parts,no prop to break,can go into really shallow water and is very manuverable,they can be parallel parked at the docks and can turn around in the boats own length .Those with trim can be angled down to push the boat through rough water or raised to create lift and shoot a rooster tail and free up the boat for speed.The only downfall is that it requires tons of horsepower and torque to make these go and that burns lots of gas . "

Back