Logo

1970 78 HP bogsfollowup

K

Kevin Johnson

" OK, so I checked everything

" OK, so I checked everything I know how to, gave up, and took it to the shop. The mechanic said I have good spark, the carbs are synchronized, and compression is good. The only problem he found was a bad thermostat, so he replaced that. However, I took it out tonight and it ran great for a while and then bam, the "bog & die after an idle zone" syndrome struck again. I am at wits end! He said nothing about the fuel pump, but I imagine he checked it (that's one question I have for him tomorrow).

The thing that gets me is that twice on Saturday it would only run at about 1700 RPM and die if I tried to accerelate. It did this for about 10 minutes and then finally the RPM climbed and I had full power. It did that once for about 5 minutes tonight.

So my next thought is the ignition system, if it's not fuel related. Is it possible for an iginition component (charge/sensor coil, charge/sensor magnet, stator, rectifier, powerpack) to work OK at high speed or when the motor is cool and maybe heat up while idling and fail when spark advance is needed (acceleration)? Or, it works OK when inspected (i.e. the cowling off so it's cooler) but then fails when it's on. The is the only other thing I can think of is something like this. I ran it for a while Saturday with the cowling off and the problem still was there, however this was after I had already run for about 30 min, so there was already heat buildup.

I'm somewhat leaning a little toward fuel since once tonight when I bumped the choke quickly that made it take off, although that may have just been coincidence. However, bumping the choke other times, and every time Saturday, only resulted in the motor dying. What about a reed valve. Can those heat up and not function properly?

Please, any & all help/information is needed & appreciated. This is a fine, strong motor and this problem is driving me nuts!!!

Thanks,
Kevin "

Back