Logo

What year is my motor

"Hello there,
I have a Mercur

"Hello there,
I have a Mercury outboard serial no. 9197194
can anyone give me the year it was made and the type of motor it has? is it 3 cylinder?
what is the fuel/oil mix? Where can i find the manuals for this? any opinions at all on the reliability and quality of this engine, and any information would be much appreciated.
This is my first boat and outboard and im finding it all very interesting!
thanks,
Mark Stent"

"Mark, the serial number in it

"Mark, the serial number in itself gives "zero" information.

You will need to post how many cylinders it has just so we can even narrow it down to a number of possibilities.

The number of cylinders, plus the casting numbers from one of the carbs (if multiple) will provide the first clues as to what you have..."

"Sorry Dan, you almost got los

"Sorry Dan, you almost got lost there.

You (He) has/have a 1985 Inline-6 often referred to as a "Tower of Power".

Decent motors however the design was scrapped a year or two after that motor was made. They do have a bit of a following out there, but they are by no means a collectable or anything like that.

If it's in decent running shape you may get 500 bucks for it, maybe a 100 or 200 more if it's quite exceptional."

"Hi Graham,
Thanks for the qu

"Hi Graham,
Thanks for the quick response.
I'm now told by the previous owner that it has 3 cylinders and that he believes it to be a Model 700 70hp outboard. Does that help narrow it down?
Any more info would be great.
Other than that i can try to take the cowling off tommorow to get a closer look.
Thanks again.
Mark."

mariner 40 hp serial 428271 co

mariner 40 hp serial 428271 code 6e9l model 40elo what year is it????????

"Mark, that really helps. That

"Mark, that really helps. That would make it a 1978, 3 cylinder, model 700, 70 horse Merc.

You can mix this at 50:1 - regular unleaded (86/87 octane with no more than 15% ethanol) and TCW-3 rated marine 2 cycle oil will work fine.

As to manuals - a Merc service manual for this model is still available at a Merc dealer - part number 90-861355 but pricey at about 70 bucks - for all round maint etc, Seloc's has an excellent series of manuals (about 35 bucks) - just have to grab the one for 3/4 cylinder models of your particular vintage.."

hi there
my friend and i have

hi there
my friend and i have just bought a small fishing boat with a 40hp mariner engine and i was hoping to find any information i can about it. after being stood for 3 years i managed to get it going but not sure wether it's a 2 or 4 stroke and if 2 stroke we have no idea of the fuel to oil ratio. we used a 50-1 mix to get it started. the only number i could find was on a plate in pretty bad condition but i think it's 676bs00178. we are trying to find year etc in order to obtain parts.
thanks for your help.

"Hello again Graham,
Thanks f

"Hello again Graham,
Thanks for the useful info regarding my 1978 3 cylinder, model 700, 70 hp Mercury outboard.
What i need to find out asap is the amperage charge output of the alternator in this engine? I want to charge 2 12v 85ah batteries separately one for starting and one for aux services. I have seen a 30A SPLIT CHARGE RELAY KIT - INTELLIGENT SELF SWITCHING unit on ebay ( http://tinyurl.com/6o9qrq )do you think this would be ok to use with this engine?
Any help on this would be appreciated.
Mark."

"Yes, should work fine. I thin

"Yes, should work fine. I think your model will have either a 9 or 16 amp system, so the relay will be more than fine..."

"Mike that is a 1977, Yamaha b

"Mike that is a 1977, Yamaha built Mariner 2 stroke. 50:1 mix is perfect.

Alot of parts are discontinued, however, general maintenance items are still available from a Merc dealer..."

"The front of the cover says i

"The front of the cover says its a 1250 but the back says 1100 with lightening bolts going threw it. It's a 115 hp 6 cyl. from the early 1970s. Im having trouble locateing serial #s. The only # I have found is 836-3260 Tiger. Not sure what that refers to. I need to order parts but having trouble correctly IDing this motor. Your help would be apreciated. Thanks, MIKE
PS. What does the term "Thunderbolt" refer to?"

"Mike Bronson, it's a litt

"Mike Bronson, it's a little tough to tell exactly what you have there.

The 1250's were 125 horse models (only built in 1968/69), the 1100 were 110 horse models (only built in 1966/67). If it is a 115 horse it would have been a model 1150.

The "Thunderbolt" indicates that it had Merc's (new at the time) Thunderbolt ignition that replaced the earlier Phelon ignitions. The Thunderbolt, which although modified along the line, is still in use today, did away with points/condesors. It was probably the best 2 stroke ignition ever designed...

I don't know what that number is that you found. The problem with Merc's is, even if you find the serial it will not help identify the horsepower and it sounds like the hood has been cobbled together from spare parts. You may have to try and find casting numbers on the carbs to ultimately identify exactly what you have there..."

thanks for your info graham. a

thanks for your info graham. as yet i don't know if we need anything other than a couple of grease nipples. however it has been stood outside for at least 2 years. started and ran ok but any advice on what to check/replace would be apreciated.

"Mike, anytime a motor has sat

"Mike, anytime a motor has sat, at minimum you should change/replace:

spark plugs
impellor
lower gear oil

fully inspect all wiring/hoses for rot/frays/breaks etc

if the rpms stumble at all, at idle or anywhere else that's a good indication that the carb(s) need removal, disassembly and cleaning. Additionally, the diaphram in the fuel pump could be deteriorated, so it's something to keep an eye on. Any fuel issues, do the carbs/fuel pump...."

"I'd be grateful to know w

"I'd be grateful to know when my 4 HP Mariner two stroke was manufactured, so I can get the correct manual. Its serial number is 09767199."

thanks graham that information

thanks graham that information is a big help as i have no experience with outboards but as a car/motorcycle mechanic i wil adapt fairly easily (i hope)

"Mike, once you get at them th

"Mike, once you get at them they are really quite simple to work on - it's just some things seem to be in an "odd place" compared to other motors you may have worked on..."

I have a mariner 150hp on a ba

I have a mariner 150hp on a basscat I bought used. The boat is a 93 but I don't know about the motor. The cowling has an orange stripe and the only number I could find was oc284285. Can anyone tell what year this is or if there is another number I might find somewhere on the motor.

Afier looking at a dozen diffe

Afier looking at a dozen different sites I think I discovered my Mariner 150 is a 95. It's either a OC284285 or a OG284285. Not sure if it;s a C or G.

"Hi, I have Mercury 4.5, Seria

"Hi, I have Mercury 4.5, Serial 939723 - I think it's European, only charts I found were American or Australian. What year is it?"

"Tommi, that's a 1981 mode

"Tommi, that's a 1981 model built by Merc in Belguim - same parts as US/Canadian/Aussie motors..."

I found the serial # on this m

I found the serial # on this mystery motor. It's 2480805. It says 1100 with 2 lightening bolts. Does that mean its the 1100ss model? It also is a short shaft. I have redone all the wiring in the motor. What other componants should be replaced? I also checked the lower unit oil and it looked OK. I was told that all cylinders had 125 comp. except one which had alot less. Would that be rings or a leaking/blown head gasket?
What else can you tell me about these motors? I appreciate all the info. MIKE

"What year is my Merc 110 9.8

"What year is my Merc 110 9.8 hp, serial #1471875?"

"hi graham.
sorry to pest

"hi graham.
sorry to pester you but i am having problems.
it transpired that the cable steering system on my boat was kaput so i purchased a multiflex system which arrived today, i also had to purchase a drag link to fit the engine. my main problem is that i don't have a clue where on the engine the drag link is supposed to be attatched?
i have a 1977 yamaha built 40 hp mariner (thanks for that info) please help i am a complete novice when it comes to watercraft."

"I'm looking at a boat and

"I'm looking at a boat and motor,no year on motor. I have serial #695s017235 25hp MARINER on a '71 BLUE FIN aluminum boat 16ft.Seller asking $1500. for boat,trailer,52 lb Minnkota, 25 hp Mariner motor,new canvas cover,gas tank,2 life jackets,oars. Looks clean,no major damage, I'd appreciate a Yeah, or a NEAH. What do ya think?"

"I have a Mercury Classic 50,

"I have a Mercury Classic 50, serial number 0C145168. Can you tell me what year it was manufactured?

Thanks

ClarkW"

"Alfred, the motor is an 82 Ya

"Alfred, the motor is an 82 Yamaha built Mariner. The price for the whole package sounds ok. A new 16 foot aluminum utility may run 2k, add another 700 bucks for a trailer and a new 25 horse will go for about 3k - so 6000-7000 bucks new. But only you can decide if 1500 is fair for a 25+ year old motor and and a boat approaching 40 years old....

Greg, that is a 1989 model."

I have a Mariner 5M sn 661 034

I have a Mariner 5M sn 661 034994 that I need to do some work to. I have Googled dozens of serial number guides and can't nail this one down. The manual has a revision date of 1979 so I'm assuming my motor is no older than that.

"Guy, that looks to be a 1976

"Guy, that looks to be a 1976 Yamaha built "A" model Mariner.

Parts are getting scarce for these. The model itself was based on Yamaha's own 5 horse (model 5BS) produced between 1973-80.

Your first source for parts would be a Merc dealer and if they can't help you perhaps Yami can (if you find a patient dealer)...."

Back