Logo

What year is my motor

82skeeterm

"How can I find out the year o

"How can I find out the year of my motor? It's a 150 Mariner, The motor is grey with the orange strip. Along the strip it has the name Mariner with oil injected printed on side of the cover. Is it the earlier 80's or later 80's model? The serial number is 6494246. I bought it for 1,000 and all 6 cyclinders has a compression of 115-120. Did I get a good deal or not? "

I am trying to find out the ye

I am trying to find out the year of manufacture of my 35 hp mercury outboard serial no. 9463953

"Thankyou Graham, much appreci

"Thankyou Graham, much appreciated.
Happy New year!!"

"I am in australia I have just

"I am in australia I have just bought a boat with a 40hp Blue band Mercury Serial number is 8027594. can u tell me what year model this is? is it a well made model? Also I just changed the impeller in the water pump, fired it up with the ear muffs on it and all good in the water department, but she wouldn't idle I had to keep the revs right up or she would stall is this cause its still cold or is there tuning problems?"

"Sorry me again, i forgot to a

"Sorry me again, i forgot to add that i had it running for about 3-5 minutes and varied the revs range a bit, i put it into forward gear and it revved up in gear fine brought back to neutral. if I lowered the idle lever on the merc controls back to 45 degree angle it would just stall. New plugs, compression and park tested good i also tried pumping the fuel line whilst running no value. Is it muck inthe carbs ie: air idel jets dirty? or just needs more time to warm up?"

"Brent, can only narrow down y

"Brent, can only narrow down your model year to a range. Your serial number is Austrailian and like the Canadian models, they weren't too careful about keeping good records on the corresponding years (at least none that I have ever found).

My best guess is 1974-76. I do have some Ausi serials for a little later (78/79) and yours comes in below that. Secondly, I believe the bluebands started in 74.

From your description in your second post it does sound like you have a dirty/slightly clogged low speed jet. Probably worth stripping down the carb cleaning and adjusting..."

If it has plain blue stripes a

If it has plain blue stripes as part of the trim than it is 72 to 75 model year.After that they got fancier with the trim graphics.

"thanks guys I also dropped in

"thanks guys I also dropped into my local boat man today with the serial number, he went through his books and said its a 1983 model. any info on carby dismantling and reassembly?"

"Brent thank-you, that's a

"Brent thank-you, that's a great addition to my lists
"

I cant find the serial # on my

I cant find the serial # on my 250 merc black max. I need it to find out the model yr and was told it could be found near the transom mount but nothing there.... Any ideas?

"Tim, that is a 1987 "A&#3

"Tim, that is a 1987 "A" model, Yamaha built Mariner.

Your "G" is actually a 6.

The Model is 6EO (which is a Yami series code) - S (for short shaft) - 090523 (which is the actual serial number)...."

"Hello, I think this is the co

"Hello, I think this is the correct place to ask this ? I have a Mercury Marine Outboard it is an in-line 6 cyl Big Black case the serial is 4739142 It also says Thunderbolt ignition on a cover. Question is what year is this and what Horsepower am I looking at?? Thanks for your time!!"

"Thomas, the inline 6, "to

"Thomas, the inline 6, "tower of power" could be anything from a 90 horse on up - the serial does not contain encoded information.

However, with that serial, it's probably a 1977 model which would possibly make it a 100, 115 or a 150 horse.

If you can find the carb model stamped in the carb somewhere that may help narrow it down (maybe)."

"OK Thanks for your quick repl

"OK Thanks for your quick reply. I will check into it. I have to find out why the starter wont turn the motor, but the e-rope will..see ya soon"

"Hi can anyone identify my mot

"Hi can anyone identify my motor, thought to be mercury 4hp but searching among serial number lists reveals nothing.
S/N 09828542
Any help gratefully recieved."

p.s. made in belgium by marine

p.s. made in belgium by marine power europe.
(if that's any help)

"Many thanks for the quick rep

"Many thanks for the quick reply Graham.
thumbs_up.gif

Have a virtual pint on me."

"I like this site..definately

"I like this site..definately going to bookmark it.
I have a 40hp Merc aprox 1990 s/n- 0D174227.
The fuel enrichment valve doesn't seam to be working. What usely happens to them.. This one clicks when the key is pushed in, but you have to put your hand over a carb to choke it to get it to fire up. I just got it, and its one of the things I'm going to look into.. Any direction would be helpfull.. Thanks Rob in White Lake, Mi"

"Robert, your serial actually

"Robert, your serial actually comes up to 1992.

The enrichment valve is just a small solenoid that when you depress and hold the key, the valve opens to let some gas flow to assist with starting (cold).

This system relies of gravity to work. The valve is fed by a tube from the top carb (bowl) which is then supposed to feed the throat of the top and bottom carb.

A clog/break/rot etc anywhere in the little tubing or a bad connection and it's not going to work.

If you can hear the solenoid functioning then that component is probably fine, as stated it's a simple open/close switch.

To try and isolate a clogged hose etc, after you hear the click, grab the fuel bulb on the main fuel line from your tank and pump it up firm.

Then remove first the tube feeding the lower carb and see if you get gas dripping, replace it and pull the tube to the upper carb - if both or neither results in any gas flow, replace the tubes including the main feed from the upper carb to the solenoid..."

Thats what I wanted to know..

Thats what I wanted to know.. Thanks for the info and the exact year of my engine.. Anything else I should watch for on this year of outboard? What do you think its worth?
Thanks alot!!! Rob D

A decent running early 90'

A decent running early 90's model 40 horse would normally sell quite easily for a grand in the used market - with the cost of gas these may start gaining a little more popularity which would increase demand and value.

Over the past few years the move has been to "MORE" horsepower - but the way things are going I think alot of guys are going to settle for a little less speed and a few more bucks left in the wallet...

"Thanks again for you help..

"Thanks again for you help..
Rob in White Lake, MI"

Back