Logo

Fuel injection question

firepiper

Contributing Member
"Hello. I have Cutler fuel inj

"Hello. I have Cutler fuel injection systems on a pair crusader 454's. Just finished resealing one and fired it up. Idles ok, maybe a little rough, but, i haven't really timed yet, so, not to concerned. While tearing down the second engine ,I noticed that the injector wires were set up different. Looked in the cutler manual and found the injector wires were not on the right injectors. So, i put them where they should be, per the schamatic. Still runs ok, maybe a touch smother. How could it run at all?
I mean the wires were on the correct side, but not on the correct injectors. any thoughts?"

"I have seen this on a Crusade

"I have seen this on a Crusader before, but with the spark plug wires hooked up wrong. As long as the sequence in the firing order is followed it will run, but not well. Check to make sure that left & right engines are wire according to their left & right designation. They are different."

"I'm not familiar with the

"I'm not familiar with the Cutler system but the Merc MEFI system simply has two injector circuits. Four injectors fire at a time, then the other four. It is possible to have some of the wires mixed and still run perfectly fine."

"Rick's on the money here.

"Rick's on the money here. While I'm not familiar either, the strategy is called "batch fired" as in a batch of injectors at a time. Some fire four at a time (two circuts) some have 4 circuits firing two injectors at a time... all the way out to "sequential" injection which is 1:1. In a batched fired scenario, the mixture simply stays in vapor behind the closed intake valve and is sucked in when the valve opens.

The advantages of full sequential vs batch are generally emissions related with some fuel economy improvement. My thoughts."

Back