Logo

Engine Installation

bobkoss

I need advise or recommendatio

I need advise or recommendations for the installation of a 5.7L in a 1989 Slickcraft. I purchased the boat with the engine out and in pieces. I am installing a rebuilt log block. I would like to know if the engine should be completely assembled before installing it in the boat or because of limited space should I assemble things like the exhaust system after the engine is in the boat.
Any advise is appreciated
Bob

"You should get yourself a Sel

"You should get yourself a Seloc or Clymer manual. Either will give you some guidance for the installation.

Generally the engine is installed with all peripherals bolted on so far as is possible. If your engine compartment is tight you can leave the manifolds and elbows off and install them later, but if its that tight I can't imagine installing them in the doghouse will be easy at all.

You will need an alignment tool to align the engine on its mounts so that the drive input shaft does not bind in the gimbal bearing.

If you like you can email me at [email protected] and I can try to send you some installation instructions in .pdf format.

Rod"

"Rod
Thanks for the info. I h

"Rod
Thanks for the info. I have a Seloc manaul and alignment tool will be available when I am ready. I agree that installing the manifolds and elbows appear to be a difficult job after the engine is installed, but getting at the forward engine mounting and adusting bolts with the manifolds and elbows assembled appears to be vary difficult as well. I do have someone to help me with the engine install. he wants to assemble the manifolds and elbows when the engine is in the boat. So I think thats what we will do. What the worst that can happen? It doesn't work and we start over!
Thanks for the offer of pdf. instructions. I will email if needed.
Bob"

"It'll probably work out j

"It'll probably work out just fine. It will be challenging to hold those darn heavy manifolds in place while trying to get a couple of bolts through them into the heads, all the while not being able to really see what you are doing.

The other part that will be difficult will be getting the turn down exhaust elbows fitted up to the upper elbows and the Y pipe at the same time, with the large rubber couplers. It helps to apply a liberal amount of dish detergent in water mixture to the rubber couplers.

Rod"

I agree the Seloc is better th

I agree the Seloc is better then nothing.
Thanks for the link to Merc. Shop Manuals!!! TALK ABOUT INFORMATION OVERLOAD. I will put the to good use.
Bob
I can start a fire with my Seloc Manual.

"[b]"I can start a fire wi

""I can start a fire with my Seloc Manual."

Ayuh,......
Ya might as Well,.......
It's Too Course to leave laying in the Outhouse........"

"I purchased a Seloc repair ma

"I purchased a Seloc repair manual, and iboats sent me the wrong one...i think. I have a Mercruiser stern drive 3.0, 2001. The manual they sent me is from 1992-2000. They tell me some of these manuals were printed with the wrong covers. Before I send it back, can anyone tell me if this is true ?"

"Mark,
Start a new thread, yo

"Mark,
Start a new thread, you'll get a better response.

In the meanwhile, #3206 covers '92-'01

Sounds like the4y are telling the truth.

Rick"

Back