Logo

1960 Evinrude 40 shifter throttle question Thanks Joe

mike

Regular Contributor
" I am concerned about the saf

" I am concerned about the safety mechanism in the shifting assembly.My throttle handle will not go past 1/2 throttle when in neutral or reverse,only in forward gear..I know it will not let you shift gears at high throttle but have not noticed the throttle limit in neutral or reverse until last trip out.Is this normal,are there any adjustments for this?Joe thanks to your advice on my engine it now runs like new.You have been the difference in a rough running electrical basketcase engine to a turn key operation.Can't thank you enough.Mac "

"Mike.... That's the norma

"Mike.... That's the normal operation of the shift lockout feature. If you were able to obtain full throttle in neutral or reverse, you would in all probability encounter a runaway engine situation whereas the rpms would, simply put, race upwards out of sight. By the time (seconds) you gathered your thoughts to turn off the ignition switch, you would have a connecting rod flying through the side of your engine.

Understanding the above pertaining to neutral should come easy. In reverse, the lockout feature allows you to have slightly more throttle for obvious reasons. However, if you were able to obtain full throttle, the power (thrust) at the prop would cause the engine to bypass the mechanical reverse lock down feature, then fly up out of the water with great enough force to break the transom on some boats.... which results in having a running engine in the boat with you that's racing away at a high rpm in gear! Not a good idea. At the very least, you would still have the possibility of blowing the engine.

The lockout feature can be seen at the armature plate (the plate that contains the points, etc) under the flywheel, on the starboard (right) side. You'll notice that there is a attachment to that armature plate with two different cuts that that are stopped by the vertical shift lockout arm (neutral & reverse). I mention this just so you know what engages that safety feature. Leave it be as it's operating properly.

Joe
"

" Thanks Joe .I guess there is

" Thanks Joe .I guess there is nothing I can do to improve my setup here as it runs perfectly.I will be buying preventative maintenance parts for my engine and would appreciate your input.My list is fuel pump rebuild kit,coils ,tune up kit,fuel filter .Is there anything else you would replace to help dependability ,or should I listen to the "Dont fix it if it aint broke"senario. Thanks again ,Mike "

"Mike.... I assume the tune up

"Mike.... I assume the tune up kit includes Points & Condensers which I would suggest, also a set of Spark Plugs, a Carburetor Kit, and a Water Pump kit. Items you will need at some point but it's not likely you'll be able to replace any of those items (except s/plugs) when on the water.

I would also include in the (on board) list, items such as one of those hose clip on Fuel Connectors, a couple feet of Fuel Hose, a roll of Electrical Tape and some "black" Tie Straps. These items can save the day.

Joe
"

Back