Logo

Electrical problem Engine Model No CS 280 Serial No 10761

V

vance

"This engine is very old but c

"This engine is very old but continues to be a fine engine and I would like to run it for another 40 years

I hope you can help me

I am endeavouring to solve an electrical problem Engine Model No. CS 280 Serial No. 10761 (1964). My problems involve the following circuit in no particular order.

A resistor (Ballast 75ohm 10 watt I think),
The Coil
The alternator
The Ignition/Key start assembly(not a button Motorola I think)

The resistor broke up from age.(At the time I didn't know what it was. A white cylinder of ceramic with one spade connector leading to the coil and no contents . The other connector was on a wire leading to the alternator)

The engine didn't seem to notice and started anyway with the two connecting wires for the Resistor taped off.

In any event I felt the Resistor should be replaced, therefore I bought and installed what I believed to be the replacement.

The engine started and all was well until I tried to shut the engine off. I turned off the ignition and took the key out but the engine continued to run. It stopped only when I disconnected the newly installed resistor.

The ignition now does not respond, no clicks and no turning and no movement of dials. The batteries are fully charged and all other electrical fixtures function.

The new resistor seems undamaged, it is slightly discolored however, (yellowish/brown)

What might I have done, what should I do next and are you able to identify replacement part or parts. Including coil or keyed ignition assembly along with any installation tips or cautions.

I am required to run the boat as quickly as possible.

I look forward to any comments or suggestions. Thank you for consideration of the matter.

Regards

Vance Horn

[email protected]"

You can run the boat temporari

You can run the boat temporarily I assume to store it for winter. Tag and remove all the wires from the coil terminal that goes to the ballast. Connect a jumper wire from the coil terminal (only) to the battery. Connect a jumper from the starter solenoid (not the Bendix) to the battery to crank the motor. The points won't last too long without the ballast but should get you to the haul out. Disconnect the jumper to the coil to stop the motor. Did you get my email?

Back