Logo

92 175 HP Evinrude Intruder occasionally not firing

L

Lynn

" I have a 92 175 HP Intruder that on occasion will not fire. It acts just like the kill switch has been pulled. I've put 3 or 4 power packs on itover 9 years I've had it. It just quit firing without warning. It might do it while idling on running wide open. Then it will not start when it dies, will not fire at all. By the time I drive to the dealer it would fire immediately when turning the key.

I checked it for a short by disconnecting the black/yellow stripe wire on top of the motor and trying to start it. This diengages the kill switch.

People told me to have the one way diode, stator, and optical sensor checked but they always checked out OK for me. My problem just seems to be tempermental $200 power packs that my motor likes to snack on. Anyone else have simailar problems? "

"Lynn... It's possible, an

"Lynn... It's possible, and I have encountered this a few times, that you are experiencing a intermitent short within the ignition switch between the battery 12v terminal and the black/yellow wire that would lead directly to the powerpack. When this intermitent short takes place, there won't be a full complete blasting of 12 volts surging down that black/yellow wire but it will be enough to damage that delicate powerpack circuit. The voltage will be strong enough to be viewed on a volt meter.

Joe
"

" I am experiencing a similar

" I am experiencing a similar problem. 1995 175 Intruder, except mine has not fired when i get to the lake, not while it was running. dosen't happen all the time, but enough to make my weekend messeriable. Do you suggest replacing the switch and the power pack. If the power pack has been damaged how can you tell.
Can I do this myself or am I asking for trouble.
Lynn, thanks for your help on the other board. "

" You should be able to change

" You should be able to change the power pack out in 10-15 minutes. It's only a matter of unplugging wires it and unbolting it to remove it. You'll have to remove 3 screws to take a cover off the top part of the motor to access a wiring connector, and there are 6 bolts on the power pack. I believe there are 6 wires one per cyliner, 2 wiring harness connectors, and a ground wire. Then just connect the wires to the new one and bolt it on. It's fairly obvious where all the wires go, but it could be possible to cross wires to the cyliners so a little attention is required.

A phillips screwdriver and nut driver are all the tools required.

The next time it happens though disconnect the black/yellow wire and try to start it. It should start if the kill switch or ignition swich was shorting. But the kill switch will be inoperable while that wire is disconnected. "

" Thanks Lynn, I recokon I&#39

" Thanks Lynn, I recokon I'll go buy a power pack and keep it with me and give it a shot the next time it want fire. Mine has 2 Black/yellow connectors on top. I understand that 1 is for each side of the power pack. So in other words..if I unplug the B&Y's and it cranks it is the switches, if it doesn't crank it is the power pack ? "

I’m going through a similar thing ,full throttle after about 10 seconds right before it planes out ,it dies like i turned the switch off..

Back