Logo

74 Starcraft Cheiftan 21 ft alum cabin separting windows cracked any ideas

jon

Regular Contributor
" Hi,

I had my 21 ft alum.

" Hi,

I had my 21 ft alum. Starcraft Cheiftan out last Saturday, in some rought water with a heavy load. When I got home I noticed that the cabin appears to be seperating from the bow slightly, and that the plexiglass windows on the front of the cabin are cracked and seperated in a couple of places; there are also some bent corners and odds and ends on the parts that hold the windows together.

It actually sounds alot worse than it looks, but I'd really like to repair it, and after close inspection I have no idea what was causing this chaos. The boat is definitly not warped, 99% of the rivots are in excellent condition, and there appears to be no structural damage other than what I find around the windows, and where the cabin attaches to the bow (it is seperated about 1/4 inch on the corners).

I'd love to find anyone who has had problems with one of these style aluminum boats, but any comments on what might have caused this, and how to keep it from re-occuring would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jon "

hi jon i cannot help but i j

hi jon i cannot help but i just bought this very day a 1982 chieftan about 20 ft in very nice condition except for the wood areas which are pretty well rotted out. i intend to restore this boat to its original splendor and i need to know where i can get info on this boat. I would appreciate any info you can supply. this boat has only one cracked window on the side. i intend to gut this boat and totally rebuild it.

Back