Logo

Problems with b78 Evinrude 85hp

J

Joe Dawson

" I just got back from a good

" I just got back from a good week of striper fishing in Maine. On the last day the '78 Evinrude 85hp started to act up a bit. When it was warm it was a bit difficult to restart. It would just not catch. After running for a while, when taken out of gear it would stall before I could shut it off. There is a lever on the control box that is partially broken off that says "lift warm". If I raised this lever the engine would start. Once gear was engaged, the engine seemed sluggish and would not run at top RPMs. Since it was running poorly I headed for the ramp. Occasionally on the run to the ramp the engine would surge a bit and momentarily run well. Any ideas on what I should be looking for? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Joe "

"Joe... That lever that's

"Joe... That lever that's partially broken off is a warm up lever. When lifted, it advances the throttle without putting the engine into gear. Now, first thing to do is to remove the s/plugs, noting which plug goes to which cylinder, and if all of the plugs look the same, and if not, which plug looks different and how.

Take a compression check. The reading should be in the area of 100lbs, with all cylinders being even. Rig up a spark checker of some kind and check the spark to see if it's a strong blue flame on all cylinders... and it should jump a 7/16" gap.

If the compression and ignition are okay, it's possible that you have picked up some water in your fuel, or that a fuel restriction exists at either the fuel primer bulb or the fuel tank supply fitting. Let us know what you find.

Joe
"

" Joe, thanks for the advice.

" Joe, thanks for the advice. I have a question on checking the spark. Can I pull one plug at a time and ground it to the block while someone turns the ignition key? Is this an adaquate test for spark? Many thanks, Joe "

"Nope, you can't do that J

"Nope, you can't do that Joe. To check the spark, the engine has to be turning over at approximately 300 rpm. It can't hit that rpm at cranking speed with the plugs in. And besides that, with one plug pulled, you will still have three plugs installed. The engine may fire and run on those three cylinders which creates a very dangerous situation. Do the test right and play it safe. You need to see that spark jump the 7/16" gap so in place of a spark tester, use a philips screwdriver of the proper size that will fit inside of the s/plug boot, then hold the screwdriver shank the approximate distance away from the block.

Joe
"

" Joe, please pardon my ignora

" Joe, please pardon my ignorance. You are saying the only way to test the spark is with the engine running at approximately 300 rpm. Remove the spark plug lead from one plug at a time. Insert a phillips head screwdriver into the boot touching the metal clip that would contact the plug. Hold the shaft of the screwdriver within 7/16" of the block and check for a strong spark to jump the gap. I am assuming the screwdriver handle will insulate my hand. Check one plug at a time. If the spark from all cylinders looks good then I should look for a fuel problem, possibly the fitting on my plastic tanks or the fuel line bulb. I am fairly handy but do not have much experience with outboards. Thanks for your great advice. Joe "

"Joe..... No, you are misreadi

"Joe..... No, you are misreading what I'm saying. DO NOT do this test with the engine running.

To check the spark, the engine has to be CRANKING OVER at approximately 300 rpm with the ELECTRIC STARTER ONLY. It can't hit that rpm at cranking speed with the plugs in.

REMOVE ALL THE SPARK PLUGS.

You need to see that spark jump the 7/16" gap so use a philips screwdriver of the proper size that will fit inside of the s/plug boot, then hold the screwdriver shank the approximate distance away from the block.

Have someone crank the engine with the ignition key while you check the spark at each rubber boot.

Joe
"

" Joe, thanks for the clarific

" Joe, thanks for the clarification. I will carry out the test and get back to you if I get stuck. Again, many thanks for you help. Joe "

Back