Logo

1987 Force 125 startswonbt run

K

K. Cleavenger

" New boat to us, frustrating

" New boat to us, frustrating problem. Started and ran well the first 6 times or so that we had it out with no problems. Then started, but wouldn't continue idling-dies. Changed the plugs. Ran in the driveway, but then the same problem again in the water. Brought it in to a marina, they said the fuel filter was gunked up-replaced it, and also made some carbuerator adjustments, but that everything else looked good. Good compression, etc. In the water it again started but wouldn't continue idling. After initial start, will only start again in high idle. Back home it runs well on the trailer, sounds better than ever. Checked filter agin, it is clear. Any suggestions? (In the meantime, we've heard that we didn't choose the best marina to take it to.....) "

"K,

If you haven't, you

"K,

If you haven't, you should check the spark in each plug wire. The spark should jump a gap at least 7/16 in. across.

Examine the plugs and look for any telltale signs that something is not right in one or more cylinders.

If these things check out, you should take a look inside the carbs. You should probably do this even if you find a spark problem. If the fuel filter was badly clogged there is a good chance the carbs need some work.

Pay close attention to the idle fuel channel. You should be able to shoot WD-40 up into the system from the bottom of the body of the carb, and see it emerge from the tiny holes at the top of the bore, on the crankcase side of the throttle plate.

"

"i have a 1994 120 hp.she woul

"i have a 1994 120 hp.she would not idle;turn out had a bad stator. the first thing i would do make shure all cylinders are firing.you may have 1 or 2 dead cylinders that why she won;t idle no spark,if you have a ohm meter you can disconnect the stator wires and take a reading, on the 94 engine ohm should be 600 to 850. reading , i don;t know if you have the same color code as 94 has . on mine there are blu @red solid and blu@red stripefrom the stator to the powerpack. or switch box,if no spark on any one cylinder it can be the following powerpack;stator; or triggers you can check all of these with a meter or swap wire in color code order only;i mean you can switch blue solid for blue stripe or red solid for red stipe to see if your problems moves from cylinder to another cylinder get back and let me know what you came up with; as far as spark at all cylinders"

"Rick,
When you use the "

"Rick,
When you use the "@" symbol, the message board program thinks you are inputing an email address and it trys to make it active.
Regards,
Andrew Menkart
"

Back