Logo

60HP Mercury Oil Injection problem

T

TarBait

Is there a problem with the o

Is there a problem with the oil injection system on the 60HP Mercury outboard?

im interested to know your problem.
I have 1991 Mercury 60hp outboard. Oil has started leaking through the carby and out the bottom exhaust.
I can only think a valve is stuck open..but i posted a thread asking for help too.
is this similar to your problem?

You may be having the same problem as me.
I am finding dark oil leaking out form the exhuat port in the bearing carrier on my prop shaft. I have a 1989 40hp Mercury with Oil injection. The pump on mine is mounted low on the engine block near the end of the Crankshaft. The pump is driven off a worm gear attached to the crankshaft. I have seen dark oil leaking from my bearing carrier around the propellor shaft. It seems to be coming out with the exhaust gas. The oil is very dark, like the engine oil, not golden brown like the lower unit oil. I think oil is leaking past the pump drive mechanism, to the crankshaft then finding it's way to the exhaust.

I plan on changing the oil injector and seals soon. I will let you know what happens.

Has anyon had any similar problems?

Thanks

oil leaking out the exhaust is a normal thing on a 2 stroke ----------Especially if idling a lot or running on a hose in the driveway .----------------Test oil output from the pump if you are worried about the system.

Guys:

I replaced the oil injector pump and it fixed the leak. I don't have any more oil coming out of the exhaust ports in the lower unit. I have a tip for telling the difference between motor oil and lower unit oil. First, fresh lower unit oil is golden brown. Second, lower unit oil has a very distinctive smell. You can really tell lower unit oil if you smell it. I actually learned this from a friend who came by while I was replacing the oil injector pump. He smelled the oil and said this is definitely not lower unit oil.

Thanks

Bill

Back