Logo

130 HP Johnson Hard starting when cold

R

Rick S

I have a 1999 130HP Johnson V

I have a 1999 130HP Johnson V4 with very low hours.Its very hard to start when its cold and seems to flood easy.Could you also tell me what engine temp range is normal mine goes from 100F at full speed up to 160F when I'm going very slow is this normal.
Thanks
Rick

How long have you had this en

How long have you had this engine Ron? I have a '96 130 and when I bought it the salesman told me wrong about how to prime it. Once I realized that this thing starts quick.

This is my first season with

This is my first season with it. I bought it from a private party but it started fine after winter storage. Sometimes it starts after at least 15 seconds of cranking without pumping the throttle or priming the bulb. It seems when ever i pump the throttle once like the book says its even harder to start and floods.

I never pump the throttle wit

I never pump the throttle with mine. All I do is turn the key to the on position and push it in for 4 or 5 seconds. It usually starts within 1 to 3 seconds after that. The guy that did the demo cranked and cranked until it started and boy did it smoke. I almost didn't buy it. He wasn't using the choke (primer) correctly. With yours though if you're flooding that easily one has to think needle valve in at least one carb.

Ok Kansasmike I will give it

Ok Kansasmike I will give it a try thanks and have a good weekend.
Rick

Back