Logo

Recoil starter operation on a 15 hp

floatr07

hi i have a 15 hp i just bough

hi i have a 15 hp i just bought and the starter rope does not engage when you pull it. i dont know the year of this motor but it ihas the shifter on the tiller so its a later model. ther is a lever that looks like it should engage the flywheel when u pull the rope but it doesnt engage. there is a rod that goes from this pawl lever thing towards the front of the black. dose anyone one how this is supposed to work.

"i have been checking and its

"i have been checking and its a 1988 i think, i also have found out that the lever thing on the recoil starter assembly must be just a locking device to keep it from being pull started while in gear. but i still cant seem to figure out why the rope will pull out and retract but it doesnt turn the motor over. i think there must be some parts missing. this is an electric start motor also so the former owner never needed the recoil start. when i take the recoil ass. off i can see no way for it to engage the flywheel."

"Brent, your model is definate

"Brent, your model is definately an 88, the first year of that model series of 15 horse motors.

I have the service manual section for the rope starter - too big to post here. If you click on my name and drop me an email, I can send it to you..."

Back