Logo

Trouble shooting

C

chris nelson

"i have a 1965 johnson mq11c,

"i have a 1965 johnson mq11c, went fishing a few days ago, about 15 to 20 minutes of running the motor it started to cut out and sputter,on and off,thaught it might be the gas but that was fine. I changed the spark plugs today and it seemed to do about the same.could it be a coil problem? also after moving the garbage can with the water to run the motor in i noticed alot of water and oil mix draining from the bottom just above the prop. I dunno if anyone can help me out with this, sorry for such a long question.. Thanks chris..."

Chris...i have been watching y

Chris...i have been watching your question since you posted it...i dont know much about your motor but i dont like to see a question hanging..i assume this is a 9.5 hp motor..a couple questions..1.what did you do to eliminate gas as the problem?did you try a different gas can with new gas?2.how long had the motor set up without running?is the oil and water mix coming from you exhaust?is the oil lower unit oil or unburned oil and gas mix from your engine?wipe a couple fingers on it and smell it..if it stinks then its lower unit oil..if it is unburned but compressed gal/oil mix then you need to fix the miss problem and this will fix the oil problem..i would proceed as follows.1..make sure you have a good supply of fresh fuel to engine..no leaks in any hose etc feeding the motor.check filter on motor if you have one...check compression...use inductive timing light to check for a miss in the fire...make sure the spark will jump a minimun of 1/4 inch..just because you see a plug firing doesnt mean it has sufficient fire.you can build a rig to test spark by driving 2 nails thru a 1 by four and bending nail points to the 1/4 or 5/16 gap.connect one nail to the plug wire and the other to motor ground.turn motor and watch to make sure fire jumps 1/4 inch .get back to us on any progress or lack of progress..i will watch your entry and ask either joe reeves or graham lamp to step in and look at the problem if you dont get it fixed.Carl

"Last week i was out on the ba

"Last week i was out on the bay in forward gear at at an idle,when my 1985 140 hp evinrude quit ,just like i turned off the key.It refused to restart,no fire,got hauled to mooring . the following morning went out and it fired right up,Bad coil ,condensor,powerpack ...????????????"

Steve...you posted in someone

Steve...you posted in someone else problem..please go to to the evinrude group and use start new discussion option..Carl

"i have a 80 model 65 horse jo

"i have a 80 model 65 horse johnson motor and i put my water hose adapter on the motor to test run it and 2 minutes into the test run ,grease mixed with water spewed out of the end of the prop and were the prop meets the housing of the motor. can u tell me what happened?"

"I have a 1979 johnson 6 hp se

"I have a 1979 johnson 6 hp seahorse motor
And it has a little oil leak under the cavitation plate, can anyone tell me what kind of problem i have there, the oil is droping out of small hole."

Franklin--- that is normal for

Franklin--- that is normal for a two stroke. It is simply unburned fuel dripping down the exhaust housing.

"i'am glad to know that th

"i'am glad to know that the engine is ok and found someone who know more than myself now i can take it out see what it does.

thank you:london marine,"

Back