Logo

7 HP Sears Ted Williams info wanted where to find model number

rwernst

"Where to find model number fo

"Where to find model number for a Sears 7 HP "Ted Williams" outboard? I found a number on top of the part that clamps to the transom, on a plate riveted to the casting, # 164041 but this doesn't seem to match the xxx.xxxxxxx format it "should" have.

How do I identify what motor this is so I can get more info on it? Where should the "model" number be?

Also, it has a sticker by the integral gas tank that warns NOT to use unleaded gas. If this is, indeed, a 2 stroke engine, what harm would unleaded gas do? My understanding is unleaded gas was bad for 4 stroke engines in that the valves were lubricated/cooled or something by the lead in the gas.

Thanks,

Rich"

"Rich, the model numbers were

"Rich, the model numbers were (depending on the year/maker) sometimes on a plate or sticker located near the transom bracket (clamp) or the tiller handle itself.

Your motor being a 7 horse tells me that it was built by Eska for Sears, using a powerhead built by Tecumseh probably somewhere between 1969-76.

Older outboards work fine with unleaded gas however, on some older engines the tank itself may be made out of fibreglass or the rubber in the fuel lines may be of a type that modern unleaded, with it's additives including alcohol will "eat" the lines and possibly the tank as well."

"Great, thanks! I was really

"Great, thanks! I was really worried about finding leaded gas or using additives.

I'll look again for a model number. I found a riveted plate on top of the transom bracket, but it's just 6 digits, 164041."

"Nope, no number/model number

"Nope, no number/model number like xxx.xxxxx on the plate on top of the transom bracket. Just the engraved number as above. Would the xxx.xxxxx number have been _printed_ on, vs. engraved/stamped? If so, it's gone as virtually nothing of what looks like black painting/whatever is left on the plate. However, since it's a twist grip model , 7hp, I think it's a 1971 as that is the only 7hp one listed with the twist grip. So that's a start.

Oh, and I got it running, seems to run pretty well for having sat for however many years. Doesn't idle very well, however, but I'll play with the adjustments. Clutch/neutral/forward does work.

More questions:

Is there a grease fitting or screw to lube/adjust how hard it is to rotate the motor/steer? it's VERY stiff at the moment.

Also, it has the internal, or external tank connections, where would I find the fitting to fit the motor connector? I have an old 3 gallon outboard gas tank that it would be nice to use.

On same idea, do you close the internal tank cap and vent when using an external tank?

The internal tank cap is plastic and doesn't tighten well, and the vent doesn't close tightly either. Is that replaceable/some sort of standard size?

Thanks again."

"Rich, the model/serial number

"Rich, the model/serial number may have been on a "sticker" and as you suspect, could be long gone now.

Alot of the small motors don't have a grease fitting. The swivel bracket often has an internal plastic bushing to help with the (side to side movement when steering). This is usually packed with grease and there may or may not be a tension bolt.

You can simply undo the upper bracket which is usally held by two bolts, give the whole area a good clean up and then a blob of bearing grease. Adjust the tension bolt, if present, until you are happy with the feel of the steering..."

"Thanks Graham.

Best way to

"Thanks Graham.

Best way to clean this thing up? Can I take it to high pressure car was and hose it well to get old grease, etc. off? It says it has an electronic ignition, so assume that unless I take off more than the plastic cover, it should be ok to wash it off with this wey, yes?"

"Rich, I have cosmetically res

"Rich, I have cosmetically restored a number of engines - the car wash shouldn't hurt it. I use the engine cleaner in a spray can (for automotive engines - brand name gunk or the like) that you spray on and hose off, with no ill effects..."

Back