Logo

MORE BAD NEWS

stevewat

JUST TRYED TO DRAIN WATER OUT

JUST TRYED TO DRAIN WATER OUT OF BLOCK . NO PEACOCKS ON BLOCK JUST PLUGS. CANT SEEM TO GET OUT. LOOKS LIKE ALLEN HEAD ON THEM. ANY HELP OUT THERE? 1987 SEARAY MERC/260 STERN DRIVE. JUST REPOWRED IN JUNE 07. NOT MUCH LUCK SINCE THEN.

You just repowered in July and

You just repowered in July and the plugs are already stuck? Find the allen head that fits tightly in the plug. If you use a loose one you'll just strip it and then you're screwed.

When you do get them out replace them with brass valves. They look just like the radiator valves that USED to be on old radiators (they're all plastic now).

"if you've hogged out the

"if you've hogged out the hex heads a little, get a set of the hex drivers that are mounted in sockets and try a metric size that is slightly larger and, using a small hammer, tap the oversized driver into the plug. You may have to drill through it and use an "easy out" (which never seem to be easy, btw)."

Call the mechanic and tell the

Call the mechanic and tell them the situation and ask what should you do. If they are worth their name he will come and remove them for you. If he is no help you can try a map gas torch to heat the area around each plug to expand the block a bit to remove the plugs.

"Not trying to be a wise guy o

"Not trying to be a wise guy or anything, but are you sure you are looking at the right plugs?
The block drains are down low, just about exactly midway along each side of the block, about 1 inch above the oilpan-to-block mating line. They are 1/4" NPT plugs, so quite small.

If all else fails, I would drill them through with a 1/8" drill bit, so as to at least drain your block, then have a dealer replace them with a petcock in the spring. Better that than risk a cracked block.

If its a rebuilt repower package it is possible that they were not removed during the rebuild. The block may have been an auto or truck engine, and they may have been in the block a long time.

Rod"

"[b]"If all else fails, I

""If all else fails, I would drill them through with a 1/8" drill bit, so as to at least drain your block, then have a dealer replace them with a petcock in the spring. Better that than risk a cracked block."

Ayuh,........

Or even drive a Punch thru them with a BFH, If Possible........"

Back