Logo

Merc800

haventaclue

Outstanding Contributor
"I still havn't worked how

"I still havn't worked how to get tis engine into reverse. It will go in when in the vice but as soon as I fit lower end no way. Runs like a dream otherwise, HELP"

this ussually happens when you

this ussually happens when you are 1 tooth off on the shift shaft splines. It could also be a bad(sloppy) cable or your control box.

Does the cable have alot of slack(grab it and pull/push).
Does it move when connected.
Did it work before you had the lower off.
Did you move or adjust the reverse lock mechanism

"When i bought the engine it h

"When i bought the engine it hadn't run for three years so i never checked, just stripped it down, i find no slack and i did'nt touch reverse lock mech. I'll check the splines, if I must ajust how do i do it? I have a seloc manuel but not having messed about with outboard before the names are slow to connect.thanks."

"did you put a water pump in i

"did you put a water pump in it, if no the do so, if yes then you should have seen the shift shaft when the lower unit was down. Need to remove lower and do this.
Remove lower unit in neutral, verify lower unit is in neutral by spinning the prop, it should move freely and not ratchet(click).
If the lower unit is not in neutral put a pair of pliers on the front shaft of the lower unit(shift shaft) and turn it to obtain neutral.
Re-assemble lower to engine, verify neutral by turning prop freely. The drive shaft should not move when in neutral and spinning prop. Rotate flywheel to align drive shaft splines.
Forward gear=prop should ratchet when turned clockwise. Not ratchet when turned counterclockwise.
Neutral=prop should rotate freely when turned either direction.
Reverse=prop should ratchet when turned ccw and not ratchet when turned cw"

I have done this including com

I have done this including complete pump assembly when iput into reverse it holds in one direction but ratchets clockwise

which means its still in fwd

which means its still in fwd

does it have neutral=no=remove lower unit and turn shift shaft ccw(I think)

"I have just retried and it st

"I have just retried and it still holds ccw and ratchets cw, I think I am going to need to look at control box and cables . Thanks for taking time to answer me. Any other ideas greatfuly accepted"

"I have tried again,I have not

"I have tried again,I have noticed that it is neutral-reverse-forward in ccw, and when I move control neutral is between the two so I assume there is something not quite right in the lower unit, but what? open to ideas"

"Noel,

Before you replace t

"Noel,

Before you replace the lower, put it in neutral. Look at the splines on the shift shaft on the lower and note the exact position. Then, with the remote in neutral look at the end of the shift shaft in the mid-section. The splines must line up exactly as those on the lower. If they do not appear exactly the same, then you have to adjust the cable before replacing the lower.

Tony"

"Thanks Tony ,I have just trie

"Thanks Tony ,I have just tried that unfortunately no luck.Here's a stupid question useing long bolt on lower unit as top of the clock I get reverse at 12, neutral at 1 , fwd at 11, there is a small window of neutral between 11+12 but the shift shaft will not stay in neutral at this point.How much travel should there be in the shift shaft from power head to the lwr unit and how much travel between fwd an reverse in the lwr unit? I am arriving at the conclusion that I am goin to need to dismantle lwr unit for which I don't have the tools or know how"

"Hi folks, thank you for all y

"Hi folks, thank you for all your help between you all I got it sorted. To cut a long story short and save my blushes the cable is now ajusted to the limit and I now know that reverse is at 12'o clock neutral at 1 fwd at 2.It seems like it's new cables required. Thank you all again."

Than the shaft is 180 degrees

Than the shaft is 180 degrees out on the gear case. There is nothing to stop the pawl inside from pointing backwards on those old engines. CW is foward. Rachetes in FWD.

"it sounds right to me. you ma

"it sounds right to me. you may not need a new cable, it could be out of adjustment at the control box also, unless the cable has stretched. Never shift into rev without the engine running, it stretches the cable."

"right i'm going to have a

"right i'm going to have another look at the positioning on lwr unit, i was tryin hard not to dismantle control box again, how do i ajust in control box?"

"if it works leave it alone. I

"if it works leave it alone. I would disconnect it and push/pull on the cable to check for slack, or just watch how much travel the control box has compared to the shift linkage, looking for slop. There is also a neutral rigging point for the cable adjustment, bolt on engine lines up with mark on cable, or something like that. I don't have your specs or serial number, maybe some one else can help here."

"serial number is 2560863 merc

"serial number is 2560863 merc800, i was wondering if i take lwr unit off turn shift shaft 180??? or am i way off the mark? I haven't had a chance to look at it today, so i haven't tried this option to see if it would work"

"no need to do that unless you

"no need to do that unless you are missing a gear completly.It might be 1 tooth off and now adjusted to work with the cable end. You can put the cable at mid travel, remove lower and have control box in neutral, find the happy middle of neutral on shift shaft of lower and re-assemble. If the cable is ok then it should go into fwd and rev without any trouble. By turning the shift shaft 180, no further degree of travel will be found, providing someone hasn't got everything messed up."

"here it's me working with

"here it's me working with this and you know murphy's law, if it can go wrong it will, i have tried to move the shift shaft 1 tooth and it puts the top the shaft under the carbs but because the nut on the link arm from guide and shift link is facing up its catching on the bottom of the carb,there are acouple things i'm going to try this afternoon. I know its simple what i'm doing wrong but ican't put my finger on it"

Thank you all who took the tim

Thank you all who took the time to help me out it now goes into reverse though i may not get a chance to try it out for a few months. Thanks again everybody.

Back