Logo

Labor rate

atilla_boy

Regular Contributor
whats the going labor rate rig

whats the going labor rate right now cause i got a quote for changing an exhaust bellow on my alpha one for $150 is that good???

John:

If it has been awhile

John:

If it has been awhile for the other bellows and water inlet hose consider replacing them all since the labor is mostly for the OD R&R.

"Ayuh,...... I Agree with Guy,

"Ayuh,...... I Agree with Guy,....

If you're having Any of the rubber parts replaced,......

Have ALL of the rubber parts replaced......

It's also a Great Time to replace the Lower Shift Cable too........"

"John
100% agreement with Bon

"John
100% agreement with Bondo and Guy,it will cost you a fair bit more but do the lot while you are there.
Cheers
Peter C"

"how difficult is it to do my

"how difficult is it to do my self? i was a mech. in the military so i have a strong mech. back ground. i heard that there is a special tool for the exhaust bellow, is that the only one that needs the tool. i got a quote for 600 buck to swap all the rubbers and a new fresh water hose from the impeller but no impeller swap......."

"Ayuh,........ On a scale of 1

"Ayuh,........ On a scale of 1 to 10,....
I'd peg it at an 8,1/2......

Retrofitting to the exhaust Tube rather than the Bellows will move it to about a 7........

You'll still need a Tool to remove the Hinge Pins,....A large Allenhead tool will work there,....
And,...
You really Should check the Alignment after you're done,...
So,.... You'll need an Alignment Bar as well.......

Oh Ya,.... You'll probably want a good First-Aid kit too,.....
This is usually a Real Knuckle Buster of a job......."

"John
Be thankfull you are no

"John
Be thankfull you are not in the land of Oz, some repairer's are quoting between 2-3 thou including parts to do a bellows replacement.

Also, Many dedicated marine repair shops are now refusing to work on anything older than 10 years old, it is becoming a bit of a joke.

Bondo and Rod are right, you may loose a bit of skin but I would say that it is job you should be able to do without too many problems.
Yes, you will swear alot and probably take a few chunks out of your hands but just have a good read of a manual and follow it step by step and you will be fine.

Cheers
Peter C"

"John:

"$150 is that go

"John:

"$150 is that good???" Now that you have heard a plethora of advice, it's up to you to decide what is a "good" price for the job being done. I look at it this way; a "good" price is what one is willing to pay for a given job so that the end result is the job is done, it's done right, I am happy and the technician made enough profit that made him happy."

Back