Logo

Mercury 25hp electric start 93 model

jap505

I was moving to another locati

I was moving to another location on a lake at full throttle and the motor shut off. It was like the kill switch was on. The motor will not start. I checked the kill switches. I need information about this problem.

"http://www.marinepartsman.com

"http://www.marinepartsman.com
electrical trouble shooting, left-bottom of page.

you need to check for spark first"

I do not have spark. Could it

I do not have spark. Could it possibly be the switchbox. That is causing this problem?

"OUTBOARD ELECTRICAL & IGN

"OUTBOARD ELECTRICAL & IGNITION TROUBLESHOOTING TIPS

1. Intermittent, weak, or no spark output at two spark plugs usually indicates a bad TRIGGER.

2. Intermittent, weak, or no spark output at all three spark plugs usually indicates a bad STATOR or SWITCH BOX.

3. Intermittent, weak, or no spark at any one spark plug usually indicates a bad SPARK PLUG, COIL, or SWITCH BOX

You need to test what you have with the link I gave you, switch box or stator is going to run over $200. You also need to remove the kill switch wire at the engine to make sure its not something else."

"Will a regular Digital Multi-

"Will a regular Digital Multi-Meter work for testing the trigger, stator, switchbox, etc...?
What is a DVA ? And do I need one?"

The kill switch was the first

The kill switch was the first thing I diconnected and checked for resistance to ground.
No spark with kill wire disconnected.

Resistance test: 3.1 kohms low

Resistance test: 3.1 kohms low side and 135.6 ohms high side for the stator. Trigger 723 ohms between wires and both wires to ground are open.

"stator test=test lead to
blk

"stator test=test lead to
blk/wh and engine grd= 120-180ohms or 12-18
blk/y and grd=3200-3800 or 3.2-3.8
blk/y and blk/wh=3100-3700 or3.1-3.7

stator grounded to engine, stator leads disconnected

trigger test between leeds=650-850

if you did your test right, it looks like the switch box"

The tests I did on the stator

The tests I did on the stator were to engine ground. I have not checked blk/y to blk/wh on the stator. I will though just to make sure. But I do think it might be the switch box.

Back