Logo

Differences between a mariner and standard Merc

egowhip69

"Hello all.

I think the pos

"Hello all.

I think the post title says it all.

I'm not new to the regular mercs. I've worked on the older "towers of power" many times on my older boat.

I came across a 1995 115hp mariner with low hours and great condition at a VERY good price, so I picked it up to replace my old mid 60s 650.

I've seen things that say the mariner is just a rebranded merc, others that say they are the same engine, but were merc's saltwater series before they actually had a saltwater version of Merc (meaning internal coatings to prevent excess salt damage to the cooling).

Basically I just need to know if there is anything I should be ready for in dealing with this motor. Well, other then an electrical change to my boat harness...

Thanks in advance!"

"Brandon, there were two disti

"Brandon, there were two distinct lines of Mariners. One is simply a Merc with different paint colour and decals (and about 75% Yamaha built).

The second was completely built by Yamaha (100%).

The parts for a Mercury-Mariner are exactly the same as their fantom black counterparts - so no saltwater advantage in the colour of the motor..."

"Thats exactly the answer I wa

"Thats exactly the answer I was looking for.

I'm not worried about any advantage. The motor I bought was a freshwater only, and I'm only planning to use it as such.

Thanks!"

Back