Logo

Rochester VS Edelbrock

..."Is the edelbrock a dir

..."Is the edelbrock a direct replacement for holley 4160 without the adapter?"

Not sure the bolt pattern is similar.

Jeff

"usually on an automotive appl

"usually on an automotive application edelbrock carb,it comes with a dual bolt pattern drilled in the base plate.This allows the edelbrock to fit where a holley was .I'm not sure about the marine style carb ,but shouldn't be to hard to redrill base plate using a holly base gasket if thats what your replacing with the edelbrock. turbo man ROLL TIDE"

"Good call, Everett. There I

"Good call, Everett. There IS a dual bolt pattern on the marine Edelbrock.

Jeff"

Been reading about the Edelbro

Been reading about the Edelbrock vs. Quadrajet posts. I have twin 1989 270hp 350ci Crusaders FWC in a 29' Luhrs. At the point now where I need to rebuild the Quadrajets (manual choke). Is the fuel savings and performance worth the $300+ each to replace them with the Edelbrocks w electric choke? And if so should I go with the 1409 model? I've had the Quadrajets for many years in the automotive world and had pretty good luck with them. Not much experience in marine applications and with the price of fuel (even though it hurts a little less now) better efficiency and performance would be nice. What’s the consensus on the switch?? Thanks!!
Also: Any thoughts about buying remanufactured vs new? Saves about $100 each. Thanks!!!!

"AL:

The cheapest option is

"AL:

The cheapest option is to rejet/tune the Qjet. Though the cheapest, it is also one of the most time consuming. How much the switch will may save is dependent upon each individual boat, its condition, and your usage.

Many have good luck with the 1409's right out of the box; that said, you may find it beneficial to go thru the tune procedure on them, too. Still time consuming but a bit easier than on the Qjets.

I'd suggest you find a shop specializing in Qjets over getting a reman. There are several shops that advertise marine expertise on the www but I have no first hand exposure to them. If you need a source for a good rebuild kit/a shop to do it, I can provide that info if you desire. They aren't cheap but pretty reliable.

If you decide to switch, I'd welcome your qjets for my dwindling part source. Same goes for anybody else with an idle marine qjet."

"Thanks Mark. When I bought th

"Thanks Mark. When I bought the boat the starboard engine just had the Qjet rebuilt, or so says the guy I bought it from. It is painted up pretty but not running too well. I can run the adjusting screws all the way in and the engine still runs. So I know something is letting fuel in. Kinda' hate to rebuld the carb AGAIN. With the cost of a professional rebuild job, I could probably do it but would rather have a pro do it, just wondered what the advantage would be to change over to the Edelbrock for not a whole lot more expense. The port engine runs great with the old Qjet even with the vacumn pot rusted off. Hate to touch it. Would it be to off the wall to run a new 1409 on one engine and the old Qjet on the other? Be glad to send you the old Qjet if I change over. Thanks again!!"

"Only issue I see with mixed c

"Only issue I see with mixed carbs is the mixed bag for maintenance; if you can deal with that, shouldn't be a problem.

If you are talking about the vacuum pull being rusted away on the port side, that will keep two things from working. The first function is does is to open the choke once the the engine is running. If it starts and runs rich (smells of unburnt gas in the exhaust) until warm, that's why. The other is when you go full throttle, the vacuum break slows the opening of the secondary air valves, without the pulloff, they will slam open and you usually get a long flat spot and then they run smooth."

"your carb needs a proper rebu

"your carb needs a proper rebuilding this time, Al. The float may be porous, which causes it not to "float"--a common problem on street Q-jets.

On that choke pull off, you might be able to go without it IF the choke is adjusted to open fully and quickly. That means a tendency to cold stall, but you can live with that. No vacuum leaks are allowed, though; you'll have to plug them up.

Jeff"

"Q-jets also have a reputation

"Q-jets also have a reputation for leaking through the plug in the bottom. most good kits come with a seal that you can install when rebuilding the carb[ I like to use epoxy to make a permanent repair].If the motor is running rich at idle,and the rods aren't stuck up [not seating all the way into the jets] and the mechanical power valve isn't hung than it's a good chance the bowl plug is leaking, just a thought to consider.TURBOMAN ROLL TIDE...12-0"

Back