Logo

Borg Warner Velvet V Drive Reverse Rotation

jpc0706

"Hello,

I recently purchase

"Hello,

I recently purchased a 1989 Wellcraft GranSport 34’ . The boat was out of the water and not running. It has the Borg Warner 72C Velvet Drives (1.51:1 ratio) with the V drive gear case. From what I can tell the engines are standard and reverse rotation and the V drives both act the same, leading me to believe the V drive gear case isn’t doing any reverse rotating with a gear or anything like that (they must both be chain driven). I am looking to repower with 2 standard rotating engines and am wondering what I need to do to the transmissions/gear cases to allow this to happen. If anyone can help that would be so great.
Thanks,
Jody"

"the borg warner gears could b

"the borg warner gears could be made to run in either direction by changing the hydraulic pump. they cannot, however be made to run right handed on a left hand rotation engine.you will need to replace gears also."

"thanks for the reply. here&#

"thanks for the reply. here's what i found, the port side engine is reverse rotation. I want to put a standard rotation engine in it's place and think the transmssion and v drive gear case will need modification. What will it take to pull this off. From what I understand the direction on the input side of the transmisison can be configuered for either RH or LH by messing with the pump but to actually change directions of the output of the transmisison or the gear case, gears wil need to be changed. Do you know of anyone who can help me figure out exactly what needs to be done?

Thanks!
Jody"

"Jody, just to clarify, the bo

"Jody, just to clarify, the borg warner transmission can be made to run on R.H. or L.H. engines, but cannot be altered to run in either direction regardless of engine rotation. it will turn in one direction only, depending on engine rotation. when I said you would need to change gears, I meant you would have to change transmissions. (to a different type) although right handed engines are no longer being made, rebuilds/ longblocks are still available. so you must stay with the reverse rotation engine, or change engines and transmissions too. good luck, S."

"It MAY be possible to reverse

"It MAY be possible to reverse the engine's rotation within the gearbox--that's how it's done nowadays. Do some research in tat area, and keep your fingers crossed. I agree that going with two standard rotation engines makes a lot of sense!

Jeff"

"Jody,
I have a 1990 grans

"Jody,
I have a 1990 gransport. I smoked one of my transmission in October. I can tell you right now it will be expensive for parts to change the direction of the transmission if in fact it can be done. If you call a place called Albany Marine which I believe is in the town of Colonie, NY and ask for Barney he could tell you anything you need to know about velvet drives. It was over 2000 bucks for parts and labor for clutch packs only, altho they did take the gearbox apart just to make sure everything was OK.
Peter"

what is correct oil for velvet

what is correct oil for velvet drive model 72c

Back