Logo

More Help Needed on 1950 Spiegel Brooklure 15 HP

treyster101

"I replaced the spark plug, an

"I replaced the spark plug, and when i pull the plug out it has gas on it. It just wont fire up. I took the flywheel off and sanded the magnets, but still no luck. The flywheel was rubbing on top of something and wore the plastic off a wire. I taped the wire up. It still won't fire up. I thought maybe it was being ground out. Before I replaced the spark plug you could hold onto the end of the plug wire and recieve no shock, but when you held the plug wire and touched the top of the piston bore it would shock the devil out of you. It has good compression. Im thinking it may be carb problems. When I got it the fuel stop was off and I think that may have stopped the carb from gunking up. I cleaned the tank. The breather is also missing off the carb. Please, if anybody can help solve my dilemma I would be very happy."

"Another thing, where can i fi

"Another thing, where can i find parts for this motor. I would like to look at them on a website. If i could get a catalog it would be helpful."

"Frank -- go back to basics.

"Frank -- go back to basics.

1-You replaced the plug and lost spark. Go back to the old plug and see if you get the same results.
2-I have 11 of those motors and every dad-blasted one of them has spark. The only thing that has interfered with the spark over the years is crap on the points. Use an alcohol soaked business card and drag it through the points.
3-make sure the points are set at .020"
4-DO NOT USE SANDPAPER !!! Grit and metal filings will interfere with the points. Clean everything as scrupulously as you can!
5-Spark, air & fuel are needed for ignition. Since you have fuel and it is unlikely that air is a problem, go back and check every ignition component to make sure that which should be grounded is and that which should be not isn't."

Back