Logo

Evinrude problem starting

T

Tyrone

"I have a 1969 evinrude worktw

"I have a 1969 evinrude worktwin 40hp outboard pull start.

When starting up sometimes it starts with the first pull and then at other times i can pull for 20min then it all of a sudden starts up and runs fine?
If i shut down the motor for a while it also gives the same problem while warm?
On my last trip once i got the motor restarted it started missing on one cylinder!
I have cleaned the carb and replaced both the spark plugs but same problem.
Any help please
rain.gif
"

"You could have a magneto that

"You could have a magneto that is going bad,or acoil going bad, and a bad ground to a coil. As long as you have spark to each Cylinder the motor should crank. Clean everything well, including the flywheel."

The Spark plub wires can groun

The Spark plub wires can ground inside the Ignition advance plate.
Also at the place where the Plug wire goes into the coils can deteroriate.
I replaced my Wires with wires from NAPA. Be sure to make all the Plug wire fasteners secure and non-conductive.

"i have a evinrude 90hp 97 oil

"i have a evinrude 90hp 97 oil injected. I am having trouble starting this. Smokes a lot, maybe flooding with oil?"

"I have a 78 Johnson 6HP that

"I have a 78 Johnson 6HP that doesn't have a lot of hours on it and has been well maintained. I have rebuilt the carb, new gas pump, plugs. Was running great for several months. Was on the water the other day...engine ran fine...all of a sudden the engine quit like you turned off the lights. Will not show the first signs of firing. Pulled the flywheel..everything looks good..checked all wires for ground, shorts/breaks...ok (visual). I suspect a bad power pack. If a coil..both mostly would not have gone bad at same time. Fuel good..carb bowl full..plugs wet from trying to restart. Gas tank to engine line..fine. Is there an easy way to check the power pack, coil, etc? Any help would be appreciated. I live a long way from any service."

Back