Logo

5 HP Ted Williams

L

Lee Chastain

"I just picked up a 5 HP Ted W

"I just picked up a 5 HP Ted Williams, air cooled outboard & I need to get a few parts for it.

I looked on Discount Marine Parts for it & couldn't find any info on it.

Heres what I have for ID.

Ted Williams T643 - 19B Tecumseh 7180017

any info would help out.

Thanks Lee"

"Lee, that is a 1974 model bui

"Lee, that is a 1974 model built by Eska for Sears. The model number is 217.59680

A carb kit is available from most small engine places that carry Tecumseh parts, ditto other ignition parts although I don't have part numbers for them.

This motor should be treated more like a lawnmower than an outboard. Use 2 cycle oil (for lawnmowers/chainsaws etc) instead of Marine 2 cycle oil, mixed at 24:1 with regular unleaded gas...."

"Thanks Graham,

The one pa

"Thanks Graham,

The one part I need for it will propably be the hardest to find, the gas cap has a primer bulb in it, & its torn & fuel leaks when you tilt the motor. So thats first on the list.

24:1 mix might help it run smoother, the guy I bought it from told me he ran 40:1 in it."

"Lee, parts for your motor may

"Lee, parts for your motor may still be available from Sears. The Sears part number for that cap is 36123.

You can go to www3.sears.com and put in the model number of your motor (217.59680) and get parts listings and diagrams....."

"I called sears today to try &

"I called sears today to try & order what I need & they no longer offer parts for my motor.

So I'm going through any Tecumseh dealer I can find, & talking to all the small engine shops in my area. Lee"

I am in the "same boat&#34

I am in the "same boat" as Lee. I am trying to replace the cap/primer on my fuel tank of an old Sears engine. (Mine is a 5hp "Gamefisher"). The engine has a quick disconnect fitting on the engine that won't match up with any of the readily available hoses/tank assemblies. Any suggested solutions? Replace the fuel intake fitting on the engine so I can use another set up?

"Charlie, you can change the c

"Charlie, you can change the connection fitting. Personally would go with an OMC hook-up. They are inexpensive and unlike other (Merc) their isn't a number of different versions out there for say the past 25 years or so.

For other parts you could try www.twincityoutboards.com - they aren't the cheapest place around but usually will have what you are after..."

"Graham, you must have one hel

"Graham, you must have one hell of a library, or a dedicated computer for all the stuff you come up with. amazing! I am in awe. S."

"Graham, THANKS! Seems either

"Graham, THANKS! Seems either the OMC or the FORCE fitting installed in the engine allows us to switch the whole fuel system over to something that is not outdated. If the "old" motor would not be "never used/started" I would just forget about it, but I want to see if it will start up. I do have the original manual and all the original tags still on the engine. It was won in a raffle many years ago
Thanks again!"

I just purchased a 1974 ted wi

I just purchased a 1974 ted williams 5hp outboard. i want to know if the gas ratio 24:1 is better than 40:1? Also do you know if it has a water pump?

"They went to 32:1 starting in

"They went to 32:1 starting in 1974. Although the engine is air cooled, the lower end (exhaust housing) is cooled by a water pump. Believe it or not, the owners manual, AND the service manual states to use TCW oil (which means TCW-3 today). This is not the norm for an air cooled engine, but I have followed these instructions on my Eska/Gamefisher air cooled engines for years and have had good luck."

"How do I check to see if the

"How do I check to see if the water pump is in good condition, and what other things should I check for? I have a T64319B 7179198 that has great compression, but no fire. I am pulling the flywheel in the morning. Any advice is appreciated."

"I have a 1974 Eska, I just go

"I have a 1974 Eska, I just got it running today! The Question: there is a screw port just above to prop with the word "fill" next to it. I presume that it's for oil? What type do I put in it?"

"You can use any Marine gear o

"You can use any Marine gear oil (except type C) or any 80 or 90 weight gear oil that has a GL-5 rating (check the listing on the back of the bottle - the stuff we never read)
"

"You can also find a bit more

"You can also find a bit more info at http://home.earthlink.net/~brixent/eskaid.htm
There is also a screw down lower marked drain.
You drain out the old oil first, then put the tip of the gear oil bottom in the bottom and squeeze until oil comes out the top. You then need to reinsert the top screw while still putting pressure on the bottom hole with the container, then quickly put in the lower screw. I'm sure others do it different ways, but I've done it this way hundreds of times."

"I have a sears ted williams-e

"I have a sears ted williams-eska circa 1973 5 hp motor. It had serious stumbling and stalling problems til i replaced the small pump valve and side membrane flapper valve and flapper valve gasket. Also a bowl gasket , and new needle with clip and carburetor drain gasket, carburetor mounting gasket, a j13y sparkplug. Voila.....its running fine now! The manual calls for a tcw oil and a 50:1 mix, not chainsaw oil as somebody mentioned and not a j8 sparkplug either! I ordered all these Eska parts for the tecumseh engine from boatsportandtackle.com price was 35.00 including shipping. hope this helps......karl"

"Hey Shawn, I watched your vid

"Hey Shawn, I watched your video. That's a good running engine you've got there. Looks like you're having fun with it. Have you tried it on a boat yet?"

"Hey Tom,

I put it in the w

"Hey Tom,

I put it in the water about 6 weeks ago! It ran like a top and pushed my boat all over the place!

I have a 12 foot canoe and it works fantastic!"

Back