Logo

Hydrolock from water in engine

timvanderveen

"My volvo 5.7L penta engine ha

"My volvo 5.7L penta engine has approximately 100 hours. The engine failed to start as we were launching, then would not turn over. The problem was intitially thought to be the starter motor, but later the dealer found water in the cylinders and described this as a hydrolock. The heads checked out OK. The only explanation I have been given is the engine ran backwards. It never started, but it did initially turn over on its own after the key was off.That happened right before it locked up. So far there are no defective parts, but the water sat in the engine for several days before the hydrolock was diagnosed. I would be most appreciative if someone could help explain. Thanks"

"You should also check that ma

"You should also check that manifolds and risers are in good condition. If they are OK, it could be that when you stopped your engine it "dieseled" and as a consequence it turned backwards one or several revolutions. In that case, it would suck through the exhaust valves and water going from the risers to the exhaust Y-pipe may have found its way into several cylinders. If that was the case, you would probably have water both in starbord and port sides cylinders."

"Thanks There was water in al

"Thanks There was water in all cylinders. The update from the dealer:they cleaned the cylinders as best they could, put the heads back on(after the valves were ground and reseated) and ran the engine for 20 minutes. They restarted it and there were lots of codes in the computer, and the compression on one side was bad. Now they are pulling the engine. When the hydrolock occurred, the engine never started, just "dieseled" Could there be a computer issue that does not show up? I think the key was "on" when it dieseled, but i had stropped trying to start the motor. The manifolds and risers are in good condition.

Thanks for your help. I still do not know why the engine would diesel."

"Some of the causes for a gaso

"Some of the causes for a gasoline engine to "diesel" include using low octane gasoline or having excessive ignition advance. Also, a hot spot in the combustion chamber could lead to dieseling."

"Better get those manifolds an

"Better get those manifolds and risers pressure tested for leaks. I suspect that's where the water came in and, if I'm right, it will AGAIN. Knowhatimean?

Jeff"

Back