Logo

Cleaning Carb AFB

the_lake

"I just winterized and noticed

"I just winterized and noticed quite a bit of belt dust and dirt on/in the carb. Although the boat was running fine, I thought I'd like to clean it up a bit. I have a Carter AFB on a 1968 318LM.

Can I just remove the carb from the manifold, spray it good with carb cleaner and then dry it out? Or do I need to disassembly anything?

Chuck"

"Sure you can. Digital picture

"Sure you can. Digital pictures before removal can aid in the reinstall. When removing make sure you account for all bolts, nuts, clips, etc. Keep anything and everything from falling into the intake mainifold bores such as bolts, clips, gasket pieces, etc. Cover the intake bores while cleaning your carb.
Try to keep the spray away from the plastic parts. Lubricate all the moving parts before reinstall. Use a new baseplate to manifold gasket and tighten the carb flange bolts / nuts evenly to proper torque. (You don't want to crack that baseplate)"

"You should probably get a gas

"You should probably get a gasket for use when you replace the carb. If it's been many years since the carb was re-built, you might want to consider full dissasembly. I took apart the carb on my 1990 outboard last spring the jets were plugged with goop the consistency of marmelade. Better to do it now than in May/June when you want to launch. Keep warm!
Chuck
116609.jpg
"

Back