Logo

Ford Lehman SP 275

jejuda

"I am looking for a new starte

"I am looking for a new starter motor for my SP275 Lehman. I have the parts manual and it list a a number of part numbers which incudes numbers SP90, SP135, SP185, SP225 and the SP275. The 12V starters are parts numbers 6092295, 1590421 and 2E652. I can find none of these numbers listed anywhere. I uderstand that there may be a Lucas starter that would replace the Lehman unit. The current unit has a separate remote solenoid. not mounted on the starter. FYI nthe engine is a 363 cu in block.

Any help would be much appreciated."

"I have made a deposit to purc

"I have made a deposit to purchase a 1989 32 ft Island Gypsy with single inboard diesel Ford Lehman Super Turbo SP 275 engine. Should I proceed with purchase, anyone have serious problems with this Ford Lehman engines? In need of good advice from anyone/thanks"

"I have tweo of these engines

"I have tweo of these engines in my 40 Spindrift. They are quiet and reliable. I have ~3000 hours and have replaced a strarter and intercooler.

From the Lehamn specs on this engines I would ewxpect you to reach hull speed at about 1100 RPM depending on the transmission. In your boat this engine is not stressed at all and you will probably never get up into the turbo.

According to the Lehman specs for this engine you shoud expect a fuel burn ~2.0 gals per hour.

Parts are readily available from American diesel (1-804-435-3107). I was told by them that these engines should go ~15,000 (yes 15,000) hours before a major rebuild.

Maintenance items

Heat exchangers ~3500 hours
Intercooler core ~3500 hours
Turbo ~4500 hours

Starter, alternator, water pumps as needed.

Hope this helps"

"Thanks Dave.

I am about to

"Thanks Dave.

I am about to take delivery of a 32 ft (1989)Island Gypsy in 1-2 months and want to start understanding the routine to keep Ford Lehman SP275 single engine in good running condition.

As boat will be in marina most of time apart from occasional short trips every other month, appreciate some good advice on how often to rev up engine, what rpm, how long each time in between trips as a matter of good boat keeping.

Any help would be appreciated."

"The major issues with the eng

"The major issues with the engines are making sure you inspect the intercoolers on an annual basis. The intercoolers are a slip fit into the housing and it is important that they do not get seized into the housing because of the dissimilar metal. To do this you need to remove the two triangular end caps and the o-rings and make sure you can move the intercooler back and forth in the housing. I used a good Teflon lubricant to get them pliable.

Oil changes are important though expensive (24 quarts + Filter). I use 15W40 Rotella which, around here, you can get a Wal-Mart. Oil filters are expensive from American Diesel

Fleetgurad LF3343
Motorcraft EL255
Baldwin B7097

The Baldwin is much much cheaper than the other 2. Fuel filters are available from NAPA.

Keep an eye on the starter, new style ones are available on EBay.

I would recommend ~1800 RPM at least once a year for about 20 minutes bring it up and down in increments of 100 RPM and keep an eye on the temperature, it should not rise over ~180-185.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Dave"

Thanks Dave. You've been a

Thanks Dave. You've been a great help. I'll check on those you mentioned when boat arrives. Hope could bother again then should need further help.

By the way wish you the best for 2009 and have a swell time on your 40 Spindrift.

Rgds - Amin

"I about to make a decision to

"I about to make a decision to buy a 7 year old 16+ft ‘BOSS’ Speed Boat with below :

1 x inboard Gas Engine
Chevy/Champion Series “Crusader 262”
200HP V6
Coupled to a single jet propulsion nozzle with hydraulic lift

The boat has been laid in dry berth for many years and has not been run for a while.

Appreciate any help who knows about this engine/jet-propulsion system if this unit is serviceable, where to get parts (for engine as well as propulsion system) so I can make or not the decision to buy.

Thanks all - Amin (Malaysia)"

"I have an 89 Marine Trader wi

"I have an 89 Marine Trader with twin Lehman 275's.

I had a bad temp sender recently and then a cooland line blew. I bought a rebuilt engine from American Deisel just last week and am installing it this week.

In pulling things apart, I learned the intercooler was incredibly dirty (about 1300 hours). You couldn't see through the vents. I haven't pulled the other engine's intercooler off yet to see it.

I also found the injectors need to be rebuilt (don't know if that's because of the overheat or not).

My boat smokes something fierce, especially when cold. I'm hoping that the new engine, rebuilt injectors and cleaned intercooler helps.

I will be adding remove, clean, and replace intercooler as a yearly task."

Re: "I am looking for a new starte

"I am looking for a new starter motor for my SP275 Lehman. I have the parts manual and it list a a number of part numbers which incudes numbers SP90, SP135, SP185, SP225 and the SP275. The 12V starters are parts numbers 6092295, 1590421 and 2E652. I can find none of these numbers listed anywhere. I uderstand that there may be a Lucas starter that would replace the Lehman unit. The current unit has a separate remote solenoid. not mounted on the starter. FYI nthe engine is a 363 cu in block.

Any help would be much appreciated."

http://www.bomacmarine.com/ford-lehman-engines.html We are rebuilding our Ford lehman 2700 4 cylinder and found this website had parts. Google your engine model make and number and you should find other sites as well. Goodluck. Bertman

Back