Logo

How can I tell if water pump is working Evinrude 4HP

dean

" Hello all -

Last week I p

" Hello all -

Last week I picked up a 1984 Evinrude 4HP motor that had not been used in 5+ years.

After cleaning the fuel tank, fuel line, carb float bowl, replacing the plugs and replacing the lower unit gear oil the motor started on the second pull and runs smoothly.

My question is: There does not appear to be a "pee hole" on this motor - How can I tell if the water pump is working correctly? I pulled the lower unit and took a look at the water pump and it looks OK. However, I did not disassemble the pump to inspect it.

Thanks in advance. "

take the thermostat cover off

take the thermostat cover off and if water spits out you know your pumping water

"I entered this reply awhile b

"I entered this reply awhile back but for some reason it flew off into no mans land. I just discovered this error and am re-entering my reply as below:
Dean... OMC made two (2) different 4hp engines that year. One has a single hole in the exhaust housing (the long housing between the powerhead and the lower unit) just below the powerhead. The other has a series of small holes (a double row) in the same exhaust housing. All you will see is a trace of water, a spray exiting from those small holes. The water exiting the single hole would be more pronounced. If in doubt about the water pump..... replace it. The small cost of the pump would never be worth a ruined outting.

Joe
"

" Thanks Joe-

My engine has

" Thanks Joe-

My engine has the double row of holes. I'am getting what I'd describe as a fine mist of spray exiting the holes. I ran the engine for about 10 min in a a bucket of water. The power head stayed cool to the touch - so I think that I'm OK. However, I've ordered a service manual and I'll go ahead and replace the pump anyway. PS. Any good on-line shops to order parts from?

Dean "

Back