Logo

Compression test

adam_g

Contributing Member
I thought that I would do a co

I thought that I would do a compression test as I was changing my plugs. Engine is a '95 7.4L carbureted with 200+ hours. Range is from 127- 135 on all cylinders. The problem is I tested the engine cold. The boat is already winterized and I can't warm it up. What should the numbers be? The Seloc manual is worthless here. No info. Is a cold test even valid?

"Adam...
Ideally the engine s

"Adam...
Ideally the engine should be up to operating temp to do that compression test. At proper temp, the pistons will grow to fill the cyl better, and the cyl wall will tighten around the piston slightly. This is all ten-thous of inch, so its very miniscule. Your numbers will only get better at operating temp than a cold engine, unless you have something like a collapsed piston, in which case you'll see one of your numbers much lower than the rest. You should've been hearing a piston slap during the summer though. I think that your numbers look good. There may not actually be a number for your pressure, but a range of 10% from best to worst cyl. You're certainly within that range. If you want a little more acurate test results while cold, pull all of your plugs again and do a wet test on it by squirting 2 small shots of motor oil down each plug hole before you do the test. I think you're in pretty good shape although.

Just thinking out loud
Wrench"

"adam;
Like wrench says, thos

"adam;
Like wrench says, those numbers are fine for your engine, hot or cold. They would likely be a little higher hot.
No worries there my friend.
Rod"

Back