Logo

More Infoneeded on 47 SAtwater 36hpoutboard

47bandit

"hello again...after i I.D.ed&

"hello again...after i I.D.ed(w/help from knowledgible members)my outboard motor as a scott atwater 3.6hp.(Firestone)at first i found the #'s on the head(470-1881)then as suggested i loked at the mount,sure enough #'s but mine are different the the ones i was shown.as NEW collector(i have a 2nd.obm i found,7.5hp.merc-70's)i am now a little confused,Which # indicates that scot atwater mad this in 1947? also there is a small logo(by the 407#'s)thats a circle w/a d&c on either side of larger A.any ifo is greatly appreciated,PAST&Present thank's for your time,darrin."

"Darrin, the model 470 was a S

"Darrin, the model 470 was a Scott-Atwater model number and not a Firestone (although they built the model for Firestone).

A Firestone (branded model) would have a model number of 133-6-460, 133-6-462, 133-6-463 or 133-6-464 (1946 models) and 133-7-476 (or 477 or 479) for 1947 models.

On some "store brand" outboards the model number would give you "who" built it. For example the Montgomery Wards that have "gg" in the serial were built by Gale (OMC).

Firestone coded theirs like that as well, so a model number starting 133 is a Scott-Atwater (1946-56) or a McCulloch (56-59) (who bought Scott-Atwater in 1956).

In 1959 Westbend started producing the "Firestones" and the model prefex changed to 423....

Totally confused now
"

"Ha,ya TOTALLY Confused...seri

"Ha,ya TOTALLY Confused...seriously Thanks again for the info.when i start resoration i just want to be CORRECT!!! as soon as i can get pic's.of my engine i will post them.when i first got this motor a gentlemen from A.O.M.C.I. sent pics&told me it was a S.A.o.m.,the numbers on the 'MOUNT" INDICATE what? anyway THANKS AGAIN Graham for your knowledge&time,it is greatly appreciated!
i do have peter hunn(s)"the old outboard book" being sent to me...i LOVE this stuff!THANKS EVERYONE,Especially GRAHAM&CURT,Thanks guy's!!!,darrin."

"I have an outboard that has w

"I have an outboard that has what looks to be a serial number of 462-23870. Is this a Firestone Outboard? How can I tell what I have? Also, where can I get an operation/service manual or specifications?"

"Ron, what leads you to think

"Ron, what leads you to think it's a Firestone?

The serial looks nothing like a firestone model or serial. Firestone models have 3 digits (dash) 1 digit (dash) 3 or more digits and every serial contains an "A" preceeded and followed by numbers.
The one exception with Firestone is models built between 1963-65 by Clinton which were simply called the "Featherweight 5".

In these older, small outboards, normally the prefix (462 in this case) will identify the builder. I have fairly extensive lists but have not been able to pair that up with any as of yet.

Any chance you can post a picture of the motor?"

"Graham,

I found the follow

"Graham,

I found the following on the "Old Marine Engine Discussion Board"..."I have a Firestone 2 or 2.5 hp outboard motor for sale. I have pictures. I think its a 1960 or 62. ser.#462-25539". As the number on my engine is similar to that number I made the leap that this may be a Firestone.

Anyway, attached are some photos I just took of the engine. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
222196.jpg
Ron's engine 1"">
222197.jpg
Ron's engine 2"">
222198.jpg
Ron's engine 3

"I haven't forgot about yo

"I haven't forgot about you. Have been diggin' around trying to marry up that serial, but have had zero luck.

The motor looks to either be in outstanding condition or it has been very decently restored.

I'm far from an expert on these "antique" motors. To me it looks to be from the 1930's or 40's. There were numerous builders during that era, some quite obscure.

I'll suggest that you check out www.aomci.org - the antique outboard club's website. They do have a question forum there as well and would suspect that someone there may be able to immediately identify exactly what you have..."

"Graham,
Thank you for the ef

"Graham,
Thank you for the efforts. I will check out the Antique Outboard Club and see what they may be able to tell me. The engine is in good shape. I am certain it was repainted and whoever painted it did a nice job. Right now there is no spark but I think that is minor. There appears to be good compression so I am sure I can get it to run.

If I find out what kind it is I will let you know.

Ron"

Back