Logo

Gas leaking thru carb

sparrow1

"I have a 1971 4hp model 40.I

"I have a 1971 4hp model 40.I have gas leaking out of the carb thru a very small brass tube in the throat of the carb.A little backround.I just got this motor off e-bay about a month ago.The internal fuel hoses were a bit dried out.I replaced them however I did not replace them with stock hoses.I used 5/16" hose.Would this make a difference?Maybe a fuel pump problem?Also the guy who sold this motor said he replaced the water pump impeller.The water should pee out of the motor in a strong stream.Yes?All I'm getting is a few drops.Rather annoyed because I actually paid him a bit extra to do this before he sent the motor. Thanks,Charlie."

"I have a Mariner 150. While

"I have a Mariner 150. While running down river at about 4,000 rpms, I eased the throttle and the rpms didn't come down. Had to turn off the ignition. Could this be a linkage problem or spark advance trouble. Thanks for any information. Bill"

"William, you should start a n

"William, you should start a new discussion.

Charlie, first off, your carb is flooding by the sound of it. If you pump the fuel line bulb and gas comes out of the little tube you mention, then that ususally indicates a stuck float valve.

A common condition that is usually taken care of by a good carb cleaning and possible rebuild if necessary.

Secondly, when dealing with a used motor that is "new to you" never believe what "some guy" told you. He may have replaced the impeller and jiggered up a seal in the process or he may have just sent you the motor without a second thought.

Always assume that "nothing" had been corrected on it. Pull the lower unit, inspect the impeller - if it looks even slightly used, replace it. Also check the gaskets and rubber seals, particularly in the waterpump cover. If they look less than brand new, spend the few bucks and replace them all. And change the gear oil while you are at it, just to be sure.

The hoses you changed should not be an issue. You could well get quite a few more years out of this motor - but always assume that it hasn't been maintained and go about doing what needs/should be done..."

Back