Logo

AQ145B290 leg transom shield removal advice

daveed

"I am taking on water through

"I am taking on water through the transom shield, I have tried tightening the bolts, does not help, I think the gasket has gone or worse, transom rot.
The question is can I take off the shield without removing the engine?
I thought I could support the bellhousing, take off the six bolts on the shield, then from outside the transom, remove the bolts on the shield (drive leg is off) and pull the shield off.
Any advice would be welcome!"

"Dave,
The first thing I woul

"Dave,
The first thing I would do is have a VERY close look at your transom. If it's rotten, as you suspect, then everything has to come out anyway, i.e., motor and outdrive for a start.

While you're checking the transom you'd better get down in the bilge area or under the deck to check your stringers also. If the transon has rot the stringers may also. GOOD LUCK!"

"Use a screwdriver and try to

"Use a screwdriver and try to pierce the transom in way of the area where the transom shield is bolted. If the transom is rotted, you will notice it immediately.

Could it also be that the exhaust Y-pipe is corroded/perforated at the bottom?"

"Thanks for the advice!
I hav

"Thanks for the advice!
I have had a good look today, I can climb into the engine bay with plenty of room, i have poked and prodded,I have a thick glass fibre box section around the transom area, no sign of rot.
I have managed to pry the shield away from the outside and have a gap about quarter of an inch, rather than take out the engine I shall clean the old sealant out and force Sikaflex back in until it is forced through the inside, then re-tighten the bolts up and give it a try. If it does not work, then I will remove the engine and shield and try again.
Thanks again."

Back