Logo

1993 DRIVE SHAFT SWAP

3RDGEN

I HAVE A 1993 MERCURY 115HP WI

I HAVE A 1993 MERCURY 115HP WITH A 25"SHAFT THE MOTOR LOOKS LIKE IT HAS AN ADAPTER KIT TO CONVERT FROM A 20"HOUSING TO A 25.I NEED TO SWAP TO A 20"SHAFT I HAVE ONE FROM A 1980 MARINER CAN I SWAP THESE DRIVE SHAFTS???

"My '93 135V6 had a 25&#34

"My '93 135V6 had a 25" Lower, with a spacer that was removeable. I converted it to a 20" shaft by removing the spacer and the two rear midsection studs, and replacing them with the correct studs for a 20" shaft (5" shorter), and then bolting on a 20" lower unit, from a 1987 V6 motor.

Alternatively, you could swap the driveshaft, but that is "Major surgery" because you need to disassemble the entire gearcase. You will also need to change the studs in the gearcase for the shorter ones.

I do not know if the driveshaft you are considering is the correct length. it is likely the correct diameter and has the correct splines. You should be able to measure them both. if they differ by exactly 5 inches, it may work.

I found out that the older inline driveshafts do not interchange with the newer V6s. They are too short by 3/4" or so. I do not know if the older inline driveshafts interchange with the newer inline motors!"

OK I forgot to mention that th

OK I forgot to mention that the shift shaft needs to be changed as well.....

Back