Logo

Battery isolator

cal

Regular Contributor
"I want to install a battery i

"I want to install a battery isolator switch on the Gray Marine 225. With the number of accessories I've installed a little piece of mind is the reason, VHF, GPS, Depthfinder, Audio sys etc. What I want to do is just cut off all power from the battery to the entire system when I shut down. Can I get away with installing the switch on the ground side of the battery or does it need to be on the positive. I am running the original ignition system with the amp meter.Thanks,
Cal"

"I wouldn't chance interru

"I wouldn't chance interrupting the ground circuit. If you overlook something such as the bonding system, or a jumper to the AC side, you could melt something.

Keep in mind that by cutting ALL the DC power you will lose your auto bilge pump, your stereo memory and any CO monitors, if so equipped.

Why not consider a dual battery system with a selector switch?"

"I have considered the dual ba

"I have considered the dual battery setup, I have the selector switch that I would use for the shutoff. The problem is to find room for the battery, (old mahogany Century). I have a used Perco and I can find the room if I really try. I'm not positivly sure how to hook it up. The engine has the alt with a volt reg and an AMP meter. Will a dual battery setup affect the amp/reg/charge system if both batteries are on line?"

"No, the engine is still using

"No, the engine is still using/delivering the same current, you just have more storage capacity with both on and the ability to charge both. This would also allow you to switch to one only while using all your gadgets without the engine running. If the battery goes dead, switch to the other, or both, to start engine and recharge."

"Thanks for the usefull info,

"Thanks for the usefull info, now I have another project on the agenda
crazy.gif

Cal"

Back