Logo

Anyone help with a Gale 15 horsepower engine

R

rockobod

" My son took out an old boat,

" My son took out an old boat, before he could finish his trip, the rope broke on the manual crank. We took it apart and fixed the rope and recoiled everything but we cannot seem to get it realigned properly. I have been looking for a technical manual but am unable to find one.
I don't even know who manufactured the engine.
Since my son borrowed the boat I would like to fix it before I return it. Is there anyone who can help out.
Bob Bodnar "

"Bob.... First, the rope shoul

"Bob.... First, the rope should be nylon and in the neighborhood of about six (6) feet long. Tie a figure eight knot in one end and apply some heat to that knot with a match, torch, something so as to fuse it whereas it can never come undone. Also apply heat to the other end until it burns, then use a rag in a wiping motion towards the end to extinguish the flame, and at the same time to put a hard point on the end of the rope (a mild point).

DO NOT install the rope yet!

Now, with the manual starter upside down, and the pulley, spring, etc assembled as it should be, turn the pulley in a "Counter Clockwise" direction and continue turning it until it stops.

Hang on tight to that starter and pulley while during this.... you could get hurt!

With the pulley turned to the extent of the spring, carefully (CAREFULLY) let it slide back until the rope entry hole is lined up with the entry point of the housing.

From the pulley side, slide that pointed end in and pull it out through the housing until that figure eight knot is drawn in securely within the pulley. Keep a tight grip on that rope!

Still there ? Still got your fingers ? Okay, DO NOT loose your grip on that rope.... let the pulley draw the rope in about half way, then tie a slip knot in the rope so that it can not slip in any farther. This allows you to relax while you're installing the handle on the end of the rope.

When the handle is properly installed, remove the slip knot and let the rope be drawn into the manual starter.

That's it! Happy boating.

Joe
"

Back