Logo

Very Hard Shifting b85 OMC Stringer

ranisbet

Problem: It is extremely diffi

Problem: It is extremely difficult to move the Throttle/Shift lever into and out of both forward and reverse.
So Far: Removed linkage at transom - Linkage between Throttle/Shift lever and linkage is free moving. Removed cover over out-drive shift control and found that cable to OD is clean no indications of binding.
Note: Boat was in storage several years. All fluds have been changed and checked.
What is the probable cause.

"So to recap... - it's not

"So to recap... - it's not binding on the front half, and it's not binding on the back half.
??
If it's stiff going INTO gear it has to be a cable or lower unit problem."

"I Agree.
It is definitely in

"I Agree.
It is definitely in the back half.
Since the back half cable appears to be clean, I do not expect that it is causing the problem.
Isn't there a vertical shaft at the front of the lower unit that the shift cable moves up and down to enter and withdraw from gear. If there is a vertical shift shaft, is it likely that its binding because of dried out seals.
Bob N
eMail: [email protected]"

No shafts on the stringers - t

No shafts on the stringers - the cable installs onto a converter housing in the lower unit that works a sort of rack and pinion

Can I just unbolt the lower un

Can I just unbolt the lower unit (Prop shaft unit) and lower it to get a look at what may be causing the problem.
Bob N

"Hi, your problem seems to be

"Hi, your problem seems to be electronic,not mechanical, check the switches at the shifting plate where the shifting cable connects,refer to instructions on the auxiliary electronic esa switches."

"an ESA problem will make it d

"an ESA problem will make it difficult to shift OUT of gear, but not INTO gear."

"Change cable from remote to d

"Change cable from remote to drive. Disconnect first and test if possibel to shift by hand at the lever at the back. You should be able to shift into gear, might be a bit hard out.
If to hard, it might be the cable going from inside transom down into drive. Shift in gear -stop engine, then it should not be hard out."

"Morten,
I did not change the

"Morten,
I did not change the out-drive cable, but had tried the procedure you described.
I removed the forward linkage and used a wrench on the square post to engage and disengage, with engine not running. The difficulty was very evident.
Since there was no binding when I put the boat into storage, I find it difficult to expect that the cable would bind up just from sitting. That's not to say it can't happen. Just feel that since the cable wiring looked nice and clean up at the control unit it should be clean all the way to the inside of the lower unit."

"with engine not running, you

"with engine not running, you need someone rotating the prop with their hand to get it to shift- you can damage the cable by forcing it otherwise."

Problems with 'moving'

Problems with 'moving' parts: don't move them and they end up bending! So the storage and lack of use is the reason probably combined with age and a bit of moisture in the cable.
Note my comment about running the engine and Hy Stat's comment. Shift without engine/prop running and You may dammage shifting system.

"That cable also functions as

"That cable also functions as the vent/breather tube for the lower unit- so it tends to stay pretty well lubed it's whole life with the oily vapour pushing up when the drive is running. The wires are stainless. That's one type of cable I've never seen get corroded or seize. I'm sure it can happen, but I've not seen it."

Have encountered it when cable

Have encountered it when cable has been dammaged (rubber sleeve broken/cracked). Normally discovered after winter lay-up if drive has not been removed and cable checked!

"i found think link to be help

"i found think link to be helpful anyway what i got from it is that the cobra has a bad rep for tearing up gears because of .....i wont even try, just click the link and read...hope this helps"

"Well, I set this problem asid

"Well, I set this problem aside while I worked on replacing some of the marine vinyl. After the upholstry work was done, I brought it to my "old" Stringer expert mechanic to install a new OMC shifter cable. Now, even after the new cable was installed, it is still very hard shifting into gear, especially reverse.
Only thing I can think of now is to do a test with it in the water and engine running. I plan to engage the "shifter" switch (the one that is suppoed to activate the Interupter Module). When I do it, I expect the engine RPM to drop enough for me to hear it slow down. Only other thought I have is that the RPM may be too high.
Anyone else have thoughts on this.
Bob Nisbet
Redstone Arsenal, Albama"

"bottom line is omc are really

"bottom line is omc are really bad for linkage and it needs to be adjusted , its not easy and your mechanic may have done the best he could but its just not adjusted right. google omc throttle linkage and you will see thats a big problem with that motor and also adjustments tips"

"Problem Resolved:
The Interu

"Problem Resolved:
The Interuptor Module causes the motor to stutter, thereby making shifting easier.
Found that my Interrupter Module connector was not making good electrical connections.
Found this by accident when my son inadvertently moved the Module wires while testing the interupter switches. A totally lucky find.
The frustration factor was real high because this had plagued us for 8 months.
All is now well with my world of boating.
Thanks to all who offered me tips and trouble shooting tactics to try.
Bob Nisbet
Redstone Arsenal, Alabama
Supportingh U.S. Army Aviation."

Yay!! your son did good. And g

Yay!! your son did good. And good also because that guy posting about linkage was starting to bug me

Back