Logo

Engine hour meter 1997 Force 120

"My hour meter is wired to the

"My hour meter is wired to the key switch, but gets power when the key is in the accessory position.

Shouldn't this be wired to the key switch in the run position, so it gives an accurate engine count?

The only pic in my book that has the same key switch wiring colors is the Commander 2000 Side Mount Remote Control-Power Trim/Tilt Electric Start with Warning Horn.. But I have a Quicksilver shifter..

The key switch wiring colors are;
black/yellow
red
purple
yellow/black
black
yellow/red"

"Greg, believe the purple wire

"Greg, believe the purple wire should be your "hot" lead with the ignition in the "on" position...."

"Right, it is. Purple wire fro

"Right, it is. Purple wire from switch has 2 purple wires connected to it..
One goes to safety shutoff and one goes to the counter.

The purple wire gets powered when you turn the ignition switch to on (before the engine starts)..

My thought is the counter should get powered after the engine is started and the switch returns to run/on..

Instead, even when the ignition switch is turned on, the counter counts, without the engine running..
Thats not an accurate engine run hours counter, but rather a ignition switch on counter."

"Greg, is your purple wire fee

"Greg, is your purple wire feeding your other gauges (tach etc) - if not, you may want to piggy back your hour meter off the power feed to your tach - it should only operate with the key in the "on" position.

If it isn't hooked up that way, sounds like your wiring is not quite "normal"
"

"Ok, if the tach and counter g

"Ok, if the tach and counter get powered in the "on" position it isn't giving you a correct engine hour count as the counter will always count when the ignition is on, even when the engine isn't running?

My tach also goes to around 2k rpm when I turn the switch to on, without the engine running?

Not sure what causes that?"

"Something not right there - s

"Something not right there - should drop to zero as soon as it gets power, but no signal.

Anyhow, your engine should be running if the key switch is in the "on" position, except for the few seconds between turning it to on, operating the choke etc, then starting the motor - you shouldn't be leaving your key in the "on" position if the motor isn't running - that's what you have the assessory position for...."

I think we are combining on wi

I think we are combining on with accessory?
The switch only has 3 positions.
left = off
turn once right = accy (or on depending on how you look at it)
turn all the way to right = start (and when released returns to on)
Those are the only positions on this switch.
Maybe thats the problem?

It's not like an automobile switch which has off/accy/on/start

"Greg, what you are describing

"Greg, what you are describing there is correct then. What you are calling accessory position is actually the "run", and when the key is there the hour meter should run.

Additionally, you should only have your key there when the motor is running.

It sounds like you have a number of other items (ie stereo, fishfinder etc) attached to your hot "ignition" wiring or else you wouldn't have the key turned unless the motor was running...."

"Yes, the previous owner has t

"Yes, the previous owner has the stereo wired to run, I'll have to change that..Thats the only thing wired to the run position..

I'll check the tach wiring to try and figure out why it increases without the engine running..

Thanks for your patience Graham!"

Back