Logo

It only took 3 years to fix

rayb

"For 3 years I have had my 318

"For 3 years I have had my 318 both losing coolant, and making its own coolant.It had to be the heat exchanger even though pressure testing found no leaks. Price for a new heat exch here in Australia $1500.00. Ordered one from the US, a double pass model, delivered to my door in Sydney AUD $650.00. Fixed the problem and runs cooler, probably too cool at 150, where before it was 170. Apart from that and prior to fitting the new exchanger, one day I suddenly found water in the oil, just like a milk shake. It took some effort to find the cause as everything checked out just fine.

I am posting this in the hope it may help others who have inexplicably found water in the oil.

It was the last thing you would think of, it was a corrosion hole in the timing case cover which allowed the circulation pump to push coolant straight into the timimg case and right into the oil sump. Who would ever think of that?

Pretty expensive exercise, tow the boat $200, slip the boat $250, Crane hire $200, remove engine pull it down, new timing case cover, weld aluminium plate to bottom of oil pan ( more corrosion).

While the engine was out, new gear box seals,fitted the new heat exchanger, new front engine mounts,new sure seal drveshaft gland, cleaned and painted the bilge etc etc etc.

Mechanics time 75 hours @ $72.00 per hour, all up just about $7000.00 plus tax 10%.

The answer to the heat exchanger seems to have been that when the engine was hot the " crack" would close up and would hold pressure, when it was cool the crack would open, and either suck in raw water, or leak coolant into the exhaust depending on the temperature.

I sincerely hope this may be of some help or of interest to others.

Ray"

"Hope all goes well from now o

"Hope all goes well from now on, Ray. I too have had "mysterious" coolant leaks that came and went. Drives on bonkers!

Jeff"

"Raymond, thanks a million for

"Raymond, thanks a million for posting this. It may very well prove invaluable to me!"

Back