Logo

Changing impeller on 1990 90hp force

bobbyrod

i need to change an impeller o

i need to change an impeller on this motor it only has 34 hrs on it. Is it really hard to do can just about anyone change this out ? how often is it recommended you change impeller out? What is the best 2 stroke oil outthere is there a synthetic is this good for the motor? thanks a bunch guys your imput is very helpful

"Roberto, the impeller isn&#39

"Roberto, the impeller isn't very difficult to change, but a service/repair manual (such as Selocs) certainly makes the job easier.

In general, you should change the impeller every second season (whether you use the boat much or not). It is just made of rubber, and even just with the motor sitting out in the sun, the impeller can degrade or dry rot.

You don't want to "toast" a motor over a relatively cheap part. Also be sure to change the gear oil every year. Another cheap bit of insurance against destroying the gears in the lower end...

As far as oil, save your money and just use any brand of oil rated TCW-3 for 2 stroke (cycle) Marine application. The synthetic oil, in my opinion, is simply not worth the cost on a motor such as yours.

3 of my 4 motors are over 20 years old and I have used whatever is on sale (although I don't mix brands of oil in a given tank of gas).

This year I ran my "young" Mariner over 100 hours with Walmart's store brand and no ill effects (it is now 16 years old and is probably getting close to 1500 hours of use on it)...."

"Graham Lamb is the man when i

"Graham Lamb is the man when it comes to boat engine knowledge. Don't leave this site Graham, we need you.
Thanks."

"Thank-you for the good word.

"Thank-you for the good word. I am but one of many on here - maybe I just have a little too much time on my hands
"

well i finally got my boat hom

well i finally got my boat home it is in really good shape i took the cover off motor and it looks brand new we will see what happens when i try to start it well i have a question is the propeller suppose to have free play cause i can pull the propeller like i am going to take it off and it moves like a quater inch back and forth is that normal i found a spare prop that was damaged on the boat so they have took it off before? do you still have to winterize even if you keep boat in garage i live in washington state and it can get pretty cold but i would really like to use the boat soon even if it is cold what do you think is that ok or not

"Roberto, that bit of play in

"Roberto, that bit of play in the prop is normal.

You should winterize any time you are going to store the motor unused for more than a month or so - even if you were parking it in heated storage."

thanks so it is ok to not wint

thanks so it is ok to not winterize as long as start it up every week and keep it in my garage i would still like to fish throught out the winter?

"Sure, as long as you are &#34

"Sure, as long as you are "running" it, there is little danger of condensation causing internal rust.

You should probably still change the gear oil, if you haven't already. No matter how well the lower end is sealed, it can still get a bit of water in it during the colder weather. New oil is good insurance/protection for the gears...."

you mean in the lower unit rig

you mean in the lower unit right yeah i changed that alredy i was just worried about freezing i keep it in my garage what do you think

Back