Logo

Which manual

wrench

Regular Contributor
Hi Guys...

Looks like its t

Hi Guys...

Looks like its time to get a manual for my 2005 4.3L with an Alpha 1. Anyone have any preferences between Seloc or Clymer manuals? I have a Seloc book for my Johnson 4 cyl outboard and it seams to be a little basic in some places.

Thanks
Wrench

"have not seen the clymer one

"have not seen the clymer one but i have a seloc. IMHO its ok, not great, but does explain most things to an aceptable level for a new boater. the pics i thought were pretty poor. but all in all id give it a 6 out of 10"

i agree Guy the others are goo

i agree Guy the others are good manuals. but the factory one specifically for that model and year is far better

"I've got a Mercruiser Ins

"I've got a Mercruiser Installation Manual CD that came with the boat, but it doesn't really show any specs on components. There are no tips or technics on winterizing. It just says "drain the block". I've simplified that a little too, but thats basically it. It gives general ideas where the drains are, and shows where some are that my set-up doesn't have. I would like to figure different ways of getting antifreeze into the system and checking whats already in the closed portion of the system. Sounds silly, but there are things under that hood that are very unfamiliar to me. I've had outboards for years, but this is my first inboard and things are very different. For this year, the boat was new to me, so I didn't take any chances and I paid the $300 and had a shop do the winterizing,(no pulling of OD, no checking of trailer bearings), but from here on in I want to do it myself. I've been reading lots of posts on this site about winterizing and have been getting some ideas, but I'd like a better manual, but I just don't know which one. When I go to pick one up, the books are plastic wrapped and you can't see whats in there without buying it. I want the better one of the two.
Thanks
Wrench"

"wrench;
Did you get an owner

"wrench;
Did you get an owners manual with the boat? If so, it should show you the specific drains and fluid changing instruction and winterizing instructions for your specific model.
My 1996 4.3 manual was pretty good for those kinds of things, and my new 6.2 MPI manual is also good, with quite a bit more detail.
The advice given by the other members above is good if you want to take it to the next level and be able to dissassemble and repair things down the road as needed.
Just my opinion.
Rod"

Buy the factory manuals; one f

Buy the factory manuals; one for the engine and one for the OD. Or buy a subscription to on-line manuals from Seloc.

"Thanks guys...

Yeah Rod, I

"Thanks guys...

Yeah Rod, I did get an owner's manual with the boat, but not a Mercrusier Manual. The one I have doesn't show a single thing about engine or drive maintenance.
Thanks
Wrench"

"Wrench
I have a Clymer manua

"Wrench
I have a Clymer manual which is about 3/4 inch thick and a Genuine Merc manual which is about 3 inches thick.
The Clymer is OK but you cannot go past the genuine manual if you can find one, it is much better.

Cheers

Peter C"

Back