Logo

Volvo penta 43 sounds loud in Glastron

schadow

I have a 2000 Glastron 18.5 GX

I have a 2000 Glastron 18.5 GX with a 4.3 volvo penta engine that runs great other than an ocasional back fire that passes quickly. The engine runs very quietly at the dock but as soon as is gets going the engine is really loud and almost sounds as if it does not have an adequate muffler system of sorts. I have asked the service folks and they say there is no way to add a muffler type thing for the out drive noise. I have seen the inside of a chapperal boat and they have sound proofing foam inside the engine compartment. Any thoughts in general about the engine noise??

"The engine cover is usually i

"The engine cover is usually insulated with foam or fiberglass, both to keep the heat inside the engine compartment and to dampen noise. If yours is not insulated, it will be noisy. You may also want to check that the exhaust gaskets are not blown or the exhaust manifold bolts loose, althoug if that was the case you would have probably noticed exhaust gas in the engine compartment."

"I have recently got myself a

"I have recently got myself a similar Glastron GT185 with the same 4.3 GL Penta and was wondering what prop I should get for economical High Speed, long range running (not low-down punch for skiing/boarding etc). The standard prop is a 23" and some have suggested moving to a 25. Also the thing will only get to around 4300r.p.m and another expert suggested that at full whack 5500rpm is possible. As the engine only has run for 3 hours since new I am waiting for it to loosen up but I cant see it gaining another 1200 revs.... Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated down here in Aussie land. Happy Boating !"

"Oh I forgot to help out old m

"Oh I forgot to help out old mate with his noise issue.... All I can say is that the Penta V6 has a nice deep grumble that never seems to be too obtrusive from within the cockpit of the boat however a neighbour noticed me go past his house on the first day I used the boat, he said later "geez it's pretty loud" (this coming from a bloke with a 2 stroke, worked Yamaha 225h.p OUTBOARD) and my only explanation was that this was because of him being behind the boat whilst the blowers were on. Wait til I get it going at 5500revs and I buzz the the tower early on sunday morning.... But seriously the noise of my boat is not that extreme to me."

Back