Logo

Whats wrong with this picture

crappied

"I have a 25 hp mercury, fires

"I have a 25 hp mercury, fires on one cylinder(top). changed coils and switch box, thats what all the manuals say should be wrong. Nothing! So just by accident, I unhook top cylinder coil, and guess what? Bottom cylinder fires like crazy. So with both coils hooked up, top fires bottom dead. With one coil hooked up, that cylinder fires. HELP!!!!!"

"Test the trigger and check al

"Test the trigger and check all the ignition wires for good tight connections, rubbed/frayed covering etc.

Don't "change" any more parts (expensive way to troubleshoot) until you can definately find the culprit.

It could have well been the trigger or a bad wire all along. Switchboxes on these motors rarely fail...."

"well, lesson learned. After t

"well, lesson learned. After talking to three different mechanics that seemed to think it was a switch box, a stator, or a bad wire, and after spending close to $200, I hit paydirt. Seems that one of the magnets under the flywheel had came loose. So, $3.85 worth of epoxy, and it runs like a new one. Guess I owe the fellas at Camptown Marine some donuts."

Back