Logo

Water Intake

tcmers

"Well, I've replaced my im

"Well, I've replaced my impeller pump. (AQ255a, 280 outdrive) When I run a hose from the pump intake into a bucket of water, my water flow through the engine is fine. When I connect everything and run with the muffs on the outdrive intake, I get no flow at the pump. Well, If I rev it up to 2500-3000 RPM I get water flow, but absolutely nothing at idle. I don't see any visible leaks around the top of the outdrive. Could it be an internal o ring? Or could it just be that I'm not getting proper flow with the muffs? They don't seem to seal well on the drive, lots of water spraying out, but I get steady water flow out of the bottom intake hole on the drive. If I need to replace things internally, I'll probably have it done. Any idea what it should cost to have the drive pulled, and all of the gaskets and seals for the water intake replaced? Thanks!"

Thanks. I'm assuming it i

Thanks. I'm assuming it is the o ring shown in the diagram. I'll probably take it to the marina and have them deal with it.

"Jeff,
The hole you refer

"Jeff,
The hole you refer to on the bottom of your drive MUST be covered somehow when using "muffs" or else it will suck air and you will lose suction... My suggestion, before you run off and pull the drive, would be to completely submerge your drive in a large enough bucket of water (I used a large Igloo cooler) with a hose in it with the water left on. Ensure the drive's water intakes (on the side of the drive as well as the hole on the bottom) are under water and then see if you get suction. The hose should be supplying enough water to the bucket to keep the raw water intake ports submerged.. Should you still have a suction problem, I would take a look at the water neck on your drive, the "S" hose to the transom assembly, or maybe an obstruction of some sort in the water passages of your drive leg.... Good luck.
BZ"

"Thanks, Bob. I'll try yo

"Thanks, Bob. I'll try your suggestions and see what I get. I don't think I have an obstruction. I can connect a garden house to the inlet inside the boat and run water backwards through the drive. Hopefully, I was just sucking air through the bottom hole as you suggested."

Back