Logo

4 HP bizarre Model # and water problem

sacam

"Hi. I just bought a 4 HP Evi

"Hi. I just bought a 4 HP Evinrude Model # 46B36M - unsure of year. I cannot find this model number anywhere - can anyone help?. It was made in AU, I think, probably 70's. From photos I have seen it does not look exactly like the 1976 4636 model.

Also - I am clearly not an expert - but when I got it to run, no water came out of the upper unit. Isn't water supposed to be pumped from the lower to upper unit to cool engine? It does seem to get pretty warm... Where is this water supposed to come out? Many thanks to all ou you experts..

Scott"

"Scott, that's a good mode

"Scott, that's a good model number for a 1976, 4 horse.

And yes, should pump water up through the powerhead, it will then exit down the exhaust housing with most coming out just above the prop."

"Thanks Graham. so is it a 46

"Thanks Graham. so is it a 4636? I have included a few photos. I see 4 paired exhaust holes - no water comes from these - only exhaust - is this where it should come out of?>
116017.jpg
116018.jpg
116019.jpg
"

"Scott, yes it is. In my mode

"Scott, yes it is. In my model list sheets it shows up as the 46B36 and on the BRP site, simply as 4636.

The only thing I can think of with regards to the "B" in there, is, alot of the small OMC were built in Belgium for a good while.

I have a 87 "Canadian" 2.5 Ev, CE3RCUA (where the C - Canadian E - Evinrude etc). However, the sticky tag on it said built in Belgium (go figure)..."

"Sorry, about your holes there

"Sorry, about your holes there - you should get a bit of "drizzle" from those to let you know the water is circulating properly.

My motor actually has a kind of (guard) over those holes (directs the water kinda sideways) and I usually only get a "slight" weeping - and all is fine.

You normally wouldn't get something like the stream you get from a tell-tale out of those holes, but you should get some kind of moisture there..."

Back