Logo

97 135hp Seized Need new block

7seasman

"My 1997 Merc 135 was run low

"My 1997 Merc 135 was run low on oil and it did not lock up while running, but locked up while sitting. I was wondering what blocks/sizes and brands, are interchangeable with this motor? Also, if anyone has, or knows someone who has, a good replacement, please let me know. thanks, JJ"

"James, the 135 shared a block

"James, the 135 shared a block with the 150 of the same vintage. Both shared the 121.9 cu in (2 litre) head.... (mercs or mariners of course).

If it is simply frozen up, you should investigate a rebuild. Might be cheaper than you think. My buddy is just completing a rebuild on a 3 cylinder - just on 500 bucks all in - new pistons, rings, bearings and rebored cylinders..."

"James, James, sometimes they

"James, James, sometimes they get a bit of rust on the rings and lock up. Tilt the motor all the way up and put some good penetrating oil into the spark plugs. Give it a chance to work and maybe it will free up. If it does free up, rotate the flywheel by hand, many times, with oil in the cylinders. You may get it to work OK without disassembling it."

"James...To force the oil past

"James...To force the oil past the rings, use an air compressor attatched to a spark type adapter to apply at least 100 pounds pressure to the frozen piston. 100 pounds pressure applied to a cylinder with a 3 inch bore will create a downward force of over 600 pounds on the piston.....if you can find another cylinder in approximately the same position, you may be able to "T" the air hose and apply it to two cylinders at the same time. I have used this method many times with excellent results. If you can't find a commercial adapter to screw into the spark plug hole, you can make one by cracking and removing the porcelain from an old spark plug...now braze an air fitting (which fits your compressor) directly to the spark plug. This will do the trick!"

Back