Logo

Replacing manifold riser gaskets etc

lylek

I have two 2003 Crusader 5.7 M

I have two 2003 Crusader 5.7 MPI engines. They are used in a saltwater environment. And it's time to replace the manifold riser gaskets and block-off plates.
Doesn't look too tough! Famous last words!
Any advise will be gladly accepted.
Just a couple quick questions.
Do I need to use any kind of gasket sealer/glue?
Is there anything that I should check for or replace as long as I'm in there doing this work?
Thanks for the help!
Lyle

"Lyle,

If you use the OEM g

"Lyle,

If you use the OEM gasket they are graphite and are to be installed dry. Aftermarket gaskets are usually standard gasket material and should be installed using gasket compound. The block-off plates will not need replacing although if the original plates do not have a lip on the inner opening replace them with new ones. The current plates have the lip which acts as a gutter to catch any condensation which may collect in the elbow and keep it from running down into the manifold. This water is quickly expelled when the engine restarts.

Good luck,
Rick"

"Thanks Rick!
Good info... Un

"Thanks Rick!
Good info... Unfortunately, I already bought the block-off plates but no big deal, I'll put the new ones in this time and know better, next time.
I have the OEM gaskets, so dry it is!"

"Why no gasket sealer? I often

"Why no gasket sealer? I often wondered why OSCO and others tell you not to use any, and this summer I found out: Because there are a ring of tiny holes at the end of some risers where water enters the exhaust. Globs of hardened silicone would plug those holes easily, and that woud not be good!

Jeff"

Back