Logo

90 hp force motor has not ran for about two years i need info

bobbyrod

"hi i just bought a beautiful

"hi i just bought a beautiful 1990 bayliner with a 90 hp force with only 38 hrs on it it has not been used in two years what do i need to do before i try starting it i dont want to ruin it it is in brand new condition how good are these motors thanks for any help i only paid 3,000}"

"Roberto, change the following

"Roberto, change the following:

Impeller (water pump)
lower gear oil
spark plugs wouldn't hurt either (and it's only 3 of them)

Inspect the hoses, lines, wires - look for rot, cracking or fraying. Make sure all connections are tight.

Spray a bit fogging oil, WD40 or even a bit of 2 cycle oil in the cylinders and try turning the flywheel by hand. The cylinders haven't seen "lube" in a while - that will give them a head start and ensure that nothing is "frozen" up.

If the motor was layed up properly all may be fine - if not, the carbs may be clogged up to some extent, but that can be determined after you get it started.

Then hook up the gas line and give her a try. If it has oil injection (auto-blend) and you are going to use it - make sure it is functioning first. If not present or you plan on bypassing it, mix at 50:1...."

are these motors dependable it

are these motors dependable its like brand new never had throttle wide open on it its been babied by my boss that sold it to me who makes that motor i never heard of force

"My buddy has this exact motor

"My buddy has this exact motor - and it wasn't babied and it was run alot. Just coughed up a piston ring recently - but that was after 17 solid years of running well.

Force was never the best motor on the market, and not running a motor creates problems sometimes to a greater degree than running it often.

Force was started by Bayliner. In 1984 they bought out what was left of Chrysler outboard division and incorporated it into US Marine. Their idea was to build their own motor to package with their boats.

In 1986 Bayliner was bought out by Brunswick - a marine giant, who among other companies, owns Mercury. Force was given to Merc.

They continued to build Force, from mostly Chrysler parts/designs initially, later a cross between Chryler and Merc and in the end some mostly cobbled together Merc parts.

Force went off the market by the end of the 90's, however, depending on the model, Merc still stocks alot of the parts."

actually it has been four year

actually it has been four years since the motor has been used its always been stored the boat and motor are beautiful like brand new only used 34 hrs i paid 3000 do you think it was worth it i am going to drain old gas and pre lube cylinders and turn by hand before i try to start it whats a good cleaner to run in the gas to clean carbs im sure it needs it thanks a bunch

Excellent price on the rig. D

Excellent price on the rig. Definately drain the gas - probably long gone bad. You could pick up some "seafoam" or the like to run through with the first tank. There is no "magic in a can" but that will certainly help.

And take it easy on the motor for the first hour of so of use until you are sure that all is working well...

thanks a bunch you be a lot of

thanks a bunch you be a lot of help i will tear into it next week is it sfe to run it in a barrel of water at idle for a while it should put water out of the motor somewhere right does it come out the propeller too or just through the muffler hole thanks again

"Yes, fine running it in a bar

"Yes, fine running it in a barrel, garbage can of water etc.

You should get a good stream of water coming out of the tell-tale (pee stream) from the back of the lower pan (back of the hood), to let you know it's pumping water ok.

Most of the water will exit out of through the prop however, along with most of the exhaust..."

"I bought this 1990 Bayliner C

"I bought this 1990 Bayliner Capri, has force 90 HP engine, I am new to boating. Seller said it needs an impeller, I have repalced the impeller, new battery, new starter. Tried to repalce the spark plugs and WATER came out of the bottom one, I know it's a engine problem, or a gasket. where do I go from here. repalce the engine? fix it, how? does it take a stronger enginee? thanks for your help"

Back